Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

Unable to recognize external hard drive

This is a discussion on Unable to recognize external hard drive within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I have an external hard drive that I believe has crashed. It made some vibrating/clicking noises when loading up,

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 08:27 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,

I have an external hard drive that I believe has crashed. It made some vibrating/clicking noises when loading up, and my computer won't recognize it at all nor does it show up in the device manager. I decided to try pry open the case with a screwdriver and connect it directly to my desktop with the IDE and power cable from my secondary CD drive, but my computer still would not recognize it. I'm at a loss for ideas and hoping someone may be able to help. Thanks.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:36 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Try to describe the vibrating/clicking noise, is it rhythmic and repeating clicking? Any chance the drive suffered any impacts?

Old 03-15-2009, 08:39 PM   #3
Registered Member

Yea, it's rhythmic and repeating. And as far as I know, it hasn't suffered any damage.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:46 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

This is a problem with either the head stack or the Service area of the drive where the drive specific configuration is stored. Unfortunately nothing to be done as a user at this point, it will need to be recovered by a professional data recovery company with clean room facilities. Software can't do anything for a physically failed drive.