Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

Unable to create a new partition.. please help!

This is a discussion on Unable to create a new partition.. please help! within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am trying to create a new partition on my new HP Pavilion G6-2005AX laptop and I am getting an

Old 08-31-2012, 10:58 PM   #1
Registered Member

I am trying to create a new partition on my new HP Pavilion G6-2005AX laptop and I am getting an error "You cannot create a new volume in this unallocated space because the disk already contains the maximum number of partitions".

Initially i was having trouble installing Ubuntu because it does not show all my partitions. So, I deleted all the partitions and installed Win 7 64 bit by creating a single partition. After that, using Ubuntu disk I created partitions for Ubuntu and kept some space as unallocated. After installing Ubuntu when I went in to windows and tried to create a new partition in the unallocated space I am getting this error. I am unable to create a partition in Ubuntu also. I need the new partition for windows. Please help.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:59 AM   #2
Hardware Tech Team

OS: XP Pro SP3, Seven Ultimate SP1, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Mint 13 LTS, 8 Pro WMC, 8.1 Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to Stancestans

Windows' built-in disk management utility doesn't pack lots of support for "strange" partitions. I'd suggest you use a third party partition management program such as EASEUS Partition Master. The Home edition is free, so you can legally download and install it. Launch it and let it scan for attached disks and their partitions (it does this when launched). It'll then list your partitions. Kindly post a screenshot of this program showing the current partitions. It supports file systems not natively supported in windows' disk management. Probably it'll let you create the partition you want, but that'll depend on how many primary partitions you already have (max of 4 primary and virtually unlimited number of logical partitions).

Old 09-03-2012, 03:19 AM   #3
Registered Member

All the partitions are showing as primary.. may be that's the problem. How can I create logical partitions while installing win 7? I only saw primary
Old 09-04-2012, 12:38 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Convert one of the non-booting partitions into a Logical Partition. Using EaseUS Partition Master - How to convert primary partition to logical partition with EaseUS partition manager? - EaseUS Partition Master Manual
spunk.funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:51 AM   #5
Registered Member

Okay, I'll do that. But my question is how do I create logical partitions while installing win 7? Is it possible?
Old 09-04-2012, 01:03 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

You would create your Logical partition and then direct Windows to install to the Logical Partition

spunk.funk is online now   Reply With Quote