Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

Trying to recover files from laptop Drive, (USB didnt work)

This is a discussion on Trying to recover files from laptop Drive, (USB didnt work) within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Been having a nightmarish time trying to get my data from my old laptop hard drive. Its a 120mb western

Old 04-25-2011, 09:47 PM   #1
Registered Member

Been having a nightmarish time trying to get my data from my old laptop hard drive. Its a 120mb western digital from a gateway laptop. Laptop was working fine other than an awful DC/Battery/Connectivity issue as it stands i have a completely dead battery, and after taking it in to get the dc jack repaired i get no charge at all. So I already have another new laptop and just want to get the files i didnt back up in time. I have tried multiple usb adapters to no avail, and just bought an adapter to connect it to IDE on my desktop. I have been careful with the hard drive since taking it out of the old laptop and if i only had a charged battery on the old one, im pretty sure it would start up. But unfortunately batteries come uncharged for the most part..I really just need one round of battery to fire it up and dump everything i need on to an external.

So I am looking to try it in the desktop, my main question is, do I run it as "THE" drive on the desktop? (meaning, unplug the HD that is running windows currently on the desktop machine)..I wonder this because thats what the hard drive was doing in the original laptop...the hard drive is partitioned C:windows D:recovery E:extra. Old laptop is XP and desktop is XP as well. My new laptop is windows 7 64..So Im wondering if it matters whether its a master drive or just a separate IDE drive on MB. Current desktop is configured through sata.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 04-26-2011, 02:29 AM   #2
Enthusiast

You're making it far more complicated than it needs to be.

Buy an external 2.5-inch hard drive enclosure & put the laptop drive into that. Connect the enclosure to a mains power outlet then fire up your working laptop or desktop PC & plug the enclosure into a spare USB port.

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search