Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Transferring data from one external hard drive to another external hard driv

1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  keiththom 
#1 ·
I thought this would be easy but for some reason I am having problems. I just want to transfer all the data from one WD external hard drive to another WD external hard drive.

I connected both of them to my laptop and I thought it would be a simple matter of opening both drives up and copy and pasting. But when I open up MY Computer, it only sees the hard drive I plugged in first? I don't know how to find the second one?

What am I doing wrong? Or is there a better way to transfer data from one hard drive to another?

I am running windows 8 if it makes any difference?

Thanks for any help!

#2 ·
Re: Transferring data from one external hard drive to another external hard drive?

Your laptop should recognize both external HDD's unless the USB ports are not strong enough to support 2 external USB Mass Storage Drives without those drives having there own Power Adapters.
With both drives plugged in, go to Start/Run and type devmgmt.msc and press enter. In the Device Manager Are there any devices with Yellow Flags? Expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers is there an Unknown Device? If so, right click it and Uninstall it. Unplug the secondary drive and restart the computer with the first USB drive still plugged in. When the computer comes back up, plug in the second external to a different USB port.
If there are no yellow flags in Device Manager, then go to Start/Run and type diskmgmt.msc In the Disk Management window are both drives showing up here? Do both drives have Drive Letters? Is one drive listed as Unallocated Space, or is it listed as RAW and needing Initialization?

#3 ·
Re: Transferring data from one external hard drive to another external hard drive?

Your laptop should recognize both external HDD's unless the USB ports are not strong enough to support 2 external USB Mass Storage Drives without those drives having there own Power Adapters.

You are over my head but I'll try to keep up.
Both WD My Book drives do have their own power adaptors / at least they have power cords that must be plugged in for the drive to operate. But when I go to My Computer, it only recognizes whichever drive I plugged in first to the laptop.

With both drives plugged in, go to Start/Run and type devmgmt.msc and press enter. In the Device Manager Are there any devices with Yellow Flags?

Finally managed to locate Run on windows 8...
Nothing here with yellow flags.

Expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers is there an Unknown Device? No

If so, right click it and Uninstall it. Unplug the secondary drive and restart the computer with the first USB drive still plugged in. When the computer comes back up, plug in the second external to a different USB port.
If there are no yellow flags in Device Manager, then go to Start/Run and type diskmgmt.msc In the Disk Management window are both drives showing up here? Do both drives have Drive Letters? Is one drive listed as Unallocated Space, or is it listed as RAW and needing Initialization?
When I go here, I can see only one drive - again, which ever one I connected first. Both drives have "names." So I can clearly see which one it is looking at. And it's always the first one I connect. I don't see anything with "unallocated Space."

At least now I know how to get to "run."

#4 ·

they have power cords that must be plugged in for the drive to operate
Sorry you didn't mention what OS you are running so I went by your Profile which says Windows XP. Now I know you are on Windows 8.
If running Windows 8, change your profile.
To get to Run you can press the Windows key + R as well.
A WD My Book drives are considered USB Mass Storage Devices.
If both drives have power adapters, then plug the power adapters for these drives directly into a wall not a surge protector or Extension cord, as this diminishes the power.
If one drive works and you only have one wall socket handy, then plug the non working one into the wall socket.

#6 ·

If both drives have power adapters, then plug the power adapters for these drives directly into a wall not a surge protector or Extension cord, as this diminishes the power.

This ended up being the thing that fixed it. When I plug both drives into the wall instead of into the power strip, they both show up on my laptop. I would have never thought that this could be a problem.

Thanks a million for ALL your troubleshooting suggestions. You guys rock!

#5 ·

Sounds like you have driver issues or a faulty usb controller on that laptop? It's windows8 so is it still under warranty? If so, you can get it fixed for free by the manufacturer if it's less than 1 yr. old. :grin:

Next thing I would suggest, is can you copy data with one MyBook plugged in between your C: windows drive and the MyBook in both directions? :confused: If so, then unplug the 1st MyBook (let's call this MyBook#1), power off your laptop and connect the 2nd MyBook (let's call this MyBook#2). Can MyBook#2 duplicate the ability to copy files in both directions between itself and your laptop C: windows drive? :confused:

If answers to both these questions are yes; you are probably having usb controller issues with that laptop and you have to run Spunk's driver reinstall test to determine if it's faulty hardware or software. :ermm: If the usb driver reinstall doesn't work, it's most likely a usb controller chip failure on the Motherboard, and that's not user replaceable and will have to be returned to the manufacturer for replacement as I said earlier. :cry:

If one of the MyBook drives works, but the other one does not, then you've identified a faulty MyBook and that should not be used and replaced. Installing the new MyBook or other external usb drive onto the laptop should then work with BOTH usb drives plugged in and your problem will be resolved and you can copy from one drive directly to the other (I do this frequently, and I have several external usb drives). :dance:

Another thing you can try, is to duplicate your initial setup on another working computer in your house if you have one, such as a desktop. Plug in MyBook#1 and MyBook#2 and if you can perform drive-to-drive copy right off the bat, the problem is in your new Win8 laptop. :cry: If you don't have a 2nd computer in your house, perhaps you can borrow one from a friend, co-worker, or family member. I find that offering a 6-pack will often produce favorable results. :rolleyes: Make sure you have a designated driver for the trip home, as you don't want to damage that laptop in a alcohol-related traffic accident! If your MyBooks both work on the friend's computer; again you've proved that your external drives are both ok, and the problem is then isolated to your new laptop and it needs to be repaired.

Post back when you can and let us know how it turns out, k? :thumb:

Best,
BIGBEARJEDI

#7 ·

Spunk should get all the Credit on this one! Nice Job! :dance:

Very glad we could solve it for you. If you get a minute, would you please mark this thread as solved, so other Members seeking help on this problem will know that this was solved and there is a solution for it?

Here's how to do that: http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/members/963897-albums66-picture490.jpg

Cheers! :spinning:
BBJ

#9 ·
You have successfully clicked Solved!
This is an issue with USB Mass Storage drives (eg) USB HDD's, USB CD/DVD's, Card Readers, USB Hubs etc. They require power from the USB port as well as their power adapter. Laptops are notorious for not having enough power for their USB ports. Also, power strips diminish power as well. Most devices will work through a power strip but if you have problems with your USB Mass Storage device, plug it into the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.