Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

Toshiba External Hard Drive + Windows 7 Incompatibility

This is a discussion on Toshiba External Hard Drive + Windows 7 Incompatibility within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I have a Toshiba 1.5TB External Hard drive, part number PX1525E-1HKO, which connects to my laptop with a USB.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:28 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,

I have a Toshiba 1.5TB External Hard drive, part number PX1525E-1HKO, which connects to my laptop with a USB. My problem is that when i connect the hard drive, it is not even registering that such a drive has been plugged in. There was no such problem on my previous laptop.

My previous laptop was running on Windows XP. The laptop i am now using is running on Windows 7 Home Basic.

Is there a driver I can download which will enable me to access the Hard Drive on the Windows 7 Operating System? Or is there anything else that I can do?

Would appreciate any help... Thx! :-)

Old 09-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
Hardware Tech Team

My System

Have you tried another pc? How about a different usb cable? Win7 will auto detect the drive and install any drivers needed for it automatically.

Does it show up under the "Computer" tab?

Old 09-10-2012, 03:12 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

There are no drivers required for USB devices as they are loaded by the OS.
Does the external drive come with a power adapter? if so, make sure it is the correct one that came with the drive, and plug it directly into the Wall socket and not through a surge protector or extension cord as this diminishes the power.
With the drive plugged in go to Start/Search and type devmgmt.msc right click the devmgmt icon in the search results and Run As Administrator. In the Elevated Device Manager are there any devices with a yellow flag? Or under Universal Serial Bus Controllers is there an Unknown Device? If so, right click it and Uninstall it. Then unplug the USB cable from the computer end and restart the computer. When the computer comes back up, plug the USB cable into the Back USB port of the computer and not the front or through Hub as these ports are weaker. You should get a new hardware found.
spunk.funk is online now   Reply With Quote