Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

Supposed Hard Disk Failure in Windows 7

This is a discussion on Supposed Hard Disk Failure in Windows 7 within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have indeed attempted to search for such a problem, but seemingly, but parameters suck. In the event that there

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 11:51 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have indeed attempted to search for such a problem, but seemingly, but parameters suck. In the event that there is a fix for this that has been found, if someone would be kind enough to point me in that direction, it'd be greatly appreciated, and sorry for any time wasted. However, here I go...

Today I downloaded, as a student, Windows 7 from the Microsoft store. All was fine at first. However, a few hours later, it told me that I was having a hard drive problem.

It says something along the lines of "Windows is Detecting a Hard Drive Failure," and asks me if I'd like to back-up any files (I did so when I updated the operating system).

I searched Google for an answer but everyone seemed to suggest that it was indeed failing and that one should replace it. However, I'm highly certain that it's not failing. The computer is rather new. Also, everyone else had the SAME problem ONCE they updated. Is this a widely known problem and is there a fix? Would formatting the hard drive fix things?

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium. My processor is an Intel Pentium Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86 GHz 1.87 GHz. I have 2.00 GB of ram on a 32-bit operating system. It is a laptop, an Dell Inspiron 1525. If any other information is needed just let me know. Hopefully, this can be fixed.

Thanks for anyone's time.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:52 AM   #2
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Run chkdsk /r & re-boot.

Run the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic utility --> http://www.techsupportforum.com/f234...es-302602.html

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Old 01-01-2010, 08:30 AM   #3
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

run the diagnostic before running chkdsk
Old 01-01-2010, 10:09 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Dai is on the money with this one, the detection you are seeing is probably from teh SMART table, post the results of the SAMRT portion of the test.