Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

SSHD problems using win7

2K views 19 replies 4 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 ·
I recently upgraded to Windows 7 from vista and did a clean install of Windows 7 onto my new Seagate 1TB 8GB SSHD. Now Windows will not update and when I try transferring my data from vista (and my old hard drive data) to my new drive, my computer crashes and on bootup I get an error message saying that the internal hard drive cannot be found and to reseat the drive. I have to power off and on my computer again to get it to bootup. My computer is a Dell XPS M1530. I am about to buy a regular 1TB drive because I am getting so frustrated. Can anyone please help?

#5 ·
First, via external hard dive using Windows transfer which fails and my computer crashes. I also tried directly transferring the files using a hard drive dock and I tried to transfer files from my vista drive to Windows 7 and it started to transfer but again crashed and upon reboot I get an error message saying the SSHD drive is not found and to try reseating the drive. However, it's maybe worth noting that I have seen the blue screen of death pop up when it crashes but I cannot see the error message as my computer reboots too fast for me to fully see it.

#3 ·
Boot into Setup (Bios) on the Main screen is should list all of your drives. Is the SSHD showing, being a Seagate the model# will start with ST.
If so, go to the Boot Tab. Move the SSHD to First Boot Device. Move the Vista drive to not boot or to the end of the boot priority. To test the integrity of the SSHD drive, and the Vista drive, download Crystal Disk Info.
I think the Vista drive is the one that is failing. If booting continues to fail remove the Vista drive and see how you get on.

#4 · (Edited)
It's not my old drive with vista that is the problem. It's the new one, the SSHD with Windows 7. If I want to use my computer, I pretty much have to load the old drive with vista. The SSHD one I just bought. Brand new clean drive. Based off some research it sounds like it's common problem. Especially since my computer is 8 years old and does not know how to read an SSHD. I am having to swap out the drives to use my computer. Like I said too, Windows update for 7 does not work and that is a common problem as well.

#6 ·
Boot into Setup (Bios) on the Main screen is should list all of your drives. Is the SSHD showing, being a Seagate the model# will start with ST.
If so, go to the Boot Tab. Move the SSHD to First Boot Device. Move the Vista drive to not boot or to the end of the boot priority.

#7 ·
So Win7 is working, it simply isn't updating?

There are several threads in the Win7 board on the update issue. It worked for me, it just took a long time to show which updates were available. With Windows Update open and "checking for updates", it can take as long as 24 hours. There are a couple of updates that you can manually install that speed up the process a bit (for some), but it's still "slow" to populate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.