Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

[SOLVED] Windows XP can't find my hard drive

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Windows XP can't find my hard drive within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am using an HP a1530N computer with a Lakeport Leucite P5LP-LE motherboard. I am trying to load a fresh

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 02:30 PM   #1
Registered Member

Pin

I am using an HP a1530N computer with a Lakeport Leucite P5LP-LE motherboard. I am trying to load a fresh copy of Windows XP on to a brand new (formatted) Western Digital 1.0 TB (WD10EADS) hard drive.

When windows gets to the point of asking where I want windows loaded, there are no options. It does not recognize the hard drive.

I have also tried another Western Digital 250 gig hard drive (WD2500JS) with the same result.

During either hard drive installation, it is the only hard drive on the computer.

Any suggestions?

Doug The Pilot

Old 02-17-2011, 02:34 PM   #2
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

and welcome to the Forum

Installing XP on a SATA drive requires an additional step:

XP Help And Support: 108. How Do I Install Windows XP On A SATA Hard Drive

However, Most newer BIOS allow an Alternate method for SATA . . Go into the bios and check the "Sata Operation" setting,

change it to "Raid Autodetect/ATA if it is not already. Now try to install XP ( could be IDE Mode, Compatibility Mode or Legacy Mode - different BIOS use different terms )

some will say IDE instead of ATA)

If there are no such settings you'll need to slipstream the sata drivers on the XP CD, follow the instructions in this guide :

How To Slipstream SATA Drivers Into XP CD

or

Resolving "Setup did not find any hard disk drives" during Windows XP Installation - How-To Geek

Old 02-17-2011, 04:05 PM   #3
Registered Member

Pin

Rich,

Thank you for your response.

Here are the settings on the computer:
First Channel Device 0 WDC WD10EADS - 11
Third Channel Device 1 CreativeCD4833

Plug and Play OS - Yes
Primary Video Adapter - PCI
PS/2 Mouse - Auto Detect
OnBoard PATA/SATA Adapters - Both
SATA Mode - RAID
USB Legacy Mode Support - Auto
Onboard LAN - Enabled
Onboard Audio - Auto

I/O Device Configuration
Parallel Port - Enabled
Base I/O Address - 378
Mode - ECP
Interrupt - IRQ7

The SATA mode was on IDE where I was having no luck. I changed it to RAID and still no luck. The only other option is AHCI.

The first option you gave talked about getting drivers for what I assume to be the HDD. Western Digital website does not have any drivers for the 1.0 TB hard drive. Can you confirm the drivers needed are for the HDD and not the motherboard? And if I did find them, it states to install them after pressing F6 from a floppy drive. My computer does not have a floppy drive.

While I am awaiting a response I will try option 2 - Slipstreaming.

I very much appreciate your time and thank you for your help.

Doug The Pilot
Old 02-17-2011, 05:13 PM   #4
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Set the SATA Mode to IDE and you should not need the SATA drivers. If you set it to AHCI the slipstream should work. You need the SATA controller drivers that are intended to be use in the installation
Old 02-20-2011, 08:30 PM   #5
Registered Member

Rich,

Just wanted to check in. Took me a bit to figure out the process but once I did, the Slipstream idea worked great.

Thank you so much for your help.

Doug
Old 02-21-2011, 05:46 AM   #6
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Great . . thanks for posting back!!

Closed Thread