Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

[SOLVED] Unknown Disk when installing Win XP

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Unknown Disk when installing Win XP within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a many year old HP Pavilion that the hard drive just died (Samsung SP2004C, 200Gb). I installed a

Old 04-02-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a many year old HP Pavilion that the hard drive just died (Samsung SP2004C, 200Gb). I installed a new 1Tb WD Caviar but when the OS comes to the setup screen, "Unknown Disk" is displayed and anything except "Quit" results in BSOD. The Motherboard is an ASUS P5LP-LE and I did nothing more than unplug the old and plug in the new. The Motherboard and drive appear to be compatible but the motherboard documentation is not specific enough for me to absolutely determine that. I've tried with several jumper settings on the drive and I've tried several settings in the BIOS but to no avail.

any Ideas?

Old 04-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
Hardware Tech Team

My System

Check the BIOS for SATA Options.

If present change to IDE/Compatiblity mode.

If not then you will most likely have to install the SATA driver.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #3
Registered Member

I selected IDE in the bios for the drive and it seems to be working.....formating now.

Thank You.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
Hardware Tech Team

My System

Your welcome. Post back here if any other issues.

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
autotext lost word 2003 win 7
specs: Win 7, word 2003. Lost autotext when computer crashed. Current Normal dot file lost. Had to use normal .dot 4 months old that I found. Some autotext regained but still many missing. I checked 'previous version' and searched for 'normal*.dot'.Carbonite didnt save normal dot. Is...
wannabee123 Microsoft Office support 2 05-13-2012 08:10 AM
Virus HEUR trojan win 32
Good afternoon, a few days ago a Heur trojan virus affected my pc and I don't know what do do in order to delete it. Also, at the same time, it may not be the only virus in my computer even if I'm not completely sure about it. I'm also attaching my DDS cause I can't open it any more. Please...
itaboy Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help 5 04-16-2012 07:35 PM
'Downgrade' from Windows Vista to Windows XP opinions
Hi, My parents computer (Dell Dimension E520) running Windows 7 is incredibly and painfully slow. In task manager the CPU usage runs at a consistent 100% when undertaking the simplest of tasks. I thought about upgrading their processor or alternatively upgrading to Windows 7, but am...
PeterH1988 Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support 10 04-08-2012 02:14 PM
Anti Virus Software for Windows XP Compaq
Hi everyone, this is for Jack Bauer. Hi Jack you helped me before and it was great advice. This time I would like to know what is the best totally free antivirus software that uses the least MB or Ram? I am trying to free up Memory, I now have Panda Cloud and it just uses so much Memory so would...
JoJo62 Windows XP Support 3 04-03-2012 09:16 PM
applications crash when accessing the internet
I have a problem where most of my applications crash if they make use of the internet. for example: skype, windows live messenger, the game 'runes of magic' browsers and teamspeak don't crash however. So when i try to start any of those i get a message 'program' has stopped working. i got...
jbersek Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support 4 04-03-2012 12:35 PM