Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

[SOLVED] No hard disk found? Please Help!

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] No hard disk found? Please Help! within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I tried to reinstall windows on my crashed laptop and when I put the disk in for reinstallation, it said

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 01:28 PM   #1
Registered Member

I tried to reinstall windows on my crashed laptop and when I put the disk in for reinstallation, it said "No Harddisk Found!" What does that mean?

Can someone tell me why its not finding my harddisk? I have been able to boot from an Ubuntu Cd....does this not mean that my hard drive works well enough to be able to reinstall wndows?

Do I need to get a new harddisk? Will getting a new hard disk fix the problem?

Old 11-22-2010, 02:54 PM   #2
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

It means exactly what the error says. No hard disk is found. It could be a faulty HDD, the drive is not properly seated/connected, or a faulty motherboard.

Google is your Friend!
Old 11-22-2010, 11:13 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you for answering. I get that it means what the error says, its just that I'm trying to understand what it means in regards to reinstalling windows. I mean like, what's going on with my hard drive and can I just buy a new hard drive for my laptop to be able to install windows and use my laptop while the other hard drive is out being fixed.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:33 AM   #4
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

you cannot install windows if it cannot find the hard drive

if it is seen by the bios

d/load and run the h/drive makers diagnostic utility on the h/drive

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

if you don't know the brand run the hatachi one
Old 11-23-2010, 04:01 AM   #5
Registered Member

Orangess, what type of laptop is it?

My Compaq 910EM does the same thing which is purely down to the proprietary hard disk controller / driver they decided to use in that particualr model (easy enough to get around).

Also, you say that you have booted from a Ubuntu CD, but it was not clear from your message whether you were able to access the hard disk once Ubuntu had loaded. If you were, then you should also be able to get Windows re-installed on it.

As per the beginnig of this message, let me know what laptop you are using and I will see if I can hlep further here....
Old 11-23-2010, 10:39 PM   #6
Registered Member

Its a Gateway laptop. I have not been able to access the hard disk from Ubuntu.

Thank you for responding as well ^_^
Old 11-23-2010, 10:57 PM   #7
Hardware Tech Team

My System

Is the drive detected in the BIOS? If so then run the diags posted by dai

Most likely the hard drive has failed and you will need to replace it.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:47 AM   #8
Registered Member

open the system setting
go to booting system
hard disk is of or not detached
hard disk auto detached
or
change the plugs
CD-Room To Hard Disk
Old 11-24-2010, 02:31 AM   #9
Registered Member

Orangess, given that you didn't see the hard drive under Ubuntu either I am afraid I would have to agree with makinu1der2. Probably hardware failure, but the diags will confirm.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:32 AM   #10
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

So we are back to the very first reply.

If it's under warranty, have it serviced. Otherwise, you can buy a replacement HDD, install it, and see what happens.

Google is your Friend!
Old 11-24-2010, 08:18 AM   #11
Registered Member

We are and nobody at any point said the (your) very first reply was wrong. Just thought it was worth investigating a bit further. Didn't pay off this time but sometimes it does....
Old 11-24-2010, 08:55 AM   #12
Registered Member

Okay, I'll give these things a try. Also, thank you all for looking into this and making very helpful suggestions as to what I can do.

I think I will have to just replace the hard disk. It doesn't seem to detect it in the Bios...though I wasn't completey sure how to tell (I forgot to ask before I went to look) but where it was telling about the specifics, it said Main SATA: none. I do not know if this is an indicator that it detects the drive or not but it sounds like its important. I followed what azharabbais said on what to do and I did not see the stuff about the drive being detatched. Would you agree that I just need to replace it and have this one sent out to be looked at? Would they even be able to fix it (and possibly recover the data from it)? Also, is there anything I need to know about replacing the hard drive besides the basics of installation, and getting the proper brand and GB's?

In regards to replacing the hard drive, I was taking a look at the Western Digital drives and mine is a WD Scorpio Blue 120Gb Model#:WD1200BEVE (here is a link to the one I have http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=164). I was wondering if you knew whether I had to get the exact same kind or if I could get one of the Scorpio Black ones that seem to perform better. (here is a link to the one I was considering http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=484). I want to get the best for my money so if someone could look at these and tell me if its okay to get any one of them, I'd really appreciate it. I apologize if this makes anyone feel like a shopping buddy (and it doesn't please you), but I like to make sure I'm buying the right items and that I'm actually going to utilize all the benefits of the having it in my possession. It would be greatly, appreciated if you could help. ^_^
Old 11-24-2010, 06:13 PM   #13
rmy
Registered Member

Is your faulty harddrive making noise ?
Old 11-24-2010, 10:28 PM   #14
Registered Member

Yes, all of the time! very noisy, especially when I'm opening a program or something of that sort. I think it crashed because my laptop overheats a lot. Like it gets hot enough to burn you leg. I have it on a fan now though. Is there a connection between the overheating and the noise?
Old 11-24-2010, 11:21 PM   #15
rmy
Registered Member

Sorry, it was a wrong question… I mean : Is it still making noise now ? Is it still alive since it's not recognized in the bios ?

I don't know if there is a link between overheating and normal noise (that is to say more or less silent).

But, generaly speaking, when hard disk has a dammage, it's either clicking or making particular noise… or nothing if not spinnig (or sometimes loud noise without spinnig when head are stuck on the plates)
Old 11-25-2010, 12:03 AM   #16
Registered Member

Is your hard disk connected right? Is the light on?

Can another computer detect your hard disk?

Check the cable first and then the possible virus or damaged mbr?

Here are some solution
http://www.computing.net/answers/win...ave/97632.html
Old 11-25-2010, 12:04 AM   #17
Registered Member

If the hard disk mbr damaged, you may try some recovery tool to restore files and this one is what i got my photos back when my sd memory got damaged. http://www.icare-recovery.com/

You may test many tools to see which one work, that's what i did before.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:40 AM   #18
Registered Member

rmy.....Yes, it still makes noise now. I can only do stuff using the Ubuntu cd I boot from, but lets say that I open a program from within that Ubuntu cd...the hard drive makes a loud spinny-roary type noise.

Cloudcjs..... I was hooking my hard drive up to my old desktop back before I tried to reinstall windows and sometimes it would recognize the drive in certain data recovery/partition recovery programs I was using that desktop to retrieve my data, but it never found any information on it. It also didn't detect it disk manager either. Through the problem I was having before I learned that a partition is missing.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:44 AM   #19
rmy
Registered Member

from the ubuntu cd, please give return of :
dmesg | tail
juste after plugging the drive (about 5 to 10 seconds after), and
sudo sfdisk -luS && lsusb

The noise you described could be caused by mechanical damage : if head is broken, the arm could crunch on the plates… Sometimes it's the arm touching the motor. But sorry, my English is really poor and I'm not sure of the noise you described.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:21 AM   #20
Registered Member

For the noise, I was pretty much saying that its a loud spinning noise that has a roar sound to it, kind of like when you start your car...do you know what I mean? ^_^
I will do what you suggested when I wake up later and then I'll let you know what happened. Thank you for your help so far! ^_^