Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

[SOLVED] Internal or external hard drives?

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Internal or external hard drives? within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category.

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 12:20 AM   #1
Registered Member

My System

I have 3 hard drives on my computer. One hard drive named C is only used for my Win XP Pro SP3 operating system and nothing else. A second hard drive I use for all my data, video, files, folders etc. The third hard drive is used for the backup of all my data from the second drive.

I have been recommended by some people to use an external hard drive as I will have a problem if I have a computer crash. I can’t see the problem as I am assuming that my C drive only would be affected. The other 2 drives being almost a copy of each other. A crash wouldn’t affect these 2 drives.

My understanding of external hard drives is that they are only external because of the portability factor. The problem with external hard drive is usually misuse in handling and cooling. Drives used internally re often more reliable and often have better cooling.

The reason for this post I to ask do I have all my facts right.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:30 AM   #2
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

i prefer internal,there seem to be to many problems with external

external are handy if you need to take information to an outside location

Old 07-03-2011, 03:20 AM   #3
Registered Member

My System

@dai

I agree. Am I correct in my remarks about losing data seeing as Drives 2 and 3 are actual physical Seagate hard drives?
Old 07-03-2011, 05:26 AM   #4
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

only the C drive/partition[op sytstem] is affected usually
Old 07-03-2011, 05:36 AM   #5
a bit alien

Send a message via Yahoo to sobeit

but additional drivers do go bad too. IMO, if you have the space and connections with a good power supply, go internal. IMO, external drives will last as long as internal drives. Just have to be carefully handling them when moving and storing.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:22 AM   #6
Moderator - Microsoft Support Team

I would recommend an internal drive unless you have a specific need for an external, such as sharing it with a different computer. External drives often have cooling problems and are more likely to be mistreated, resulting in data loss. Also, Microsoft does not support installing any version of Windows to an external drive.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:09 AM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

The thing about external, is that I have noticed a couple of people have problems with the enclosure itself failing, and recovering data off that when they were dependant on it being a problem. Under warranty, external drives will be replaced, but they don't warrant your data even if the hard drive itself being safe.

My main concearn with using an internal backup is that if something short circuits in my computer, it will hit all of my hardware at once. My best protection would be a good quality PSU that has power protection, attached to a serge protected power board. That would minimise external power surges, hopefully even lightening. As for something like a USB hub frying (it has happened to me already!, although only hit everything USB like a camera, printer, and more), I would have to watch out for that as well. So if the drive isn't plugged in at the time, it is safer.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:56 AM   #8
Registered Member

My System

I live in SEAia where we have some spectacular tropical storms so I shut down my computer immediately, unplug the AC Supply and disconnect my ADSL link. I also do this when I leave my house so I won't be caught unawares.

It may seem like a hassle but it comes quite naturally to me now and its an ingrained habit like locking your doors when you leave home - I don't even have to stop and think about it.

I'm not sure where to mark this thread as resolved but thank you to everyone for your contributions.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:54 AM   #9
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Just add one more to the internal camp. External drives are too flaky, dependent on junky chipsets to convert usb or 1394 to sata etc....and the device almost always fails while the drive inside is fine. I never trusta anything I care about to an external hard drive.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:51 AM   #10

Well an internal should be cheaper than an external drive since your not paying for an enclosure, power supply, interface chips (hard drives are not native usb, so there are some hardware needed). If Dell is charging the same, look elsewhere. I recently purchase a 1TB internal for $109 (not the cheapest available either, just to give you an idea on costs, not sure what dell is charging). An internal drive should be slightly faster because of the lack of the bridge chip, and USB connection.
Disadvantages of an internal drive. It does share the same power supply as your CPU, so if that dies, it risks damaging both drives. If you have a poorly ventilated case, more heat will be created by two drives, which shortens the life of the drive. That being said most external enclosures dont even have fans.