Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

[SOLVED] How to make my hard drive new again (media direct issue)

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] How to make my hard drive new again (media direct issue) within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. This seems to be more complex than it sounds. If you know about media direct issue? if you want to

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 12:14 PM   #1
Registered Member

This seems to be more complex than it sounds. If you know about media direct issue?
if you want to know
http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/mediadirect.htm
Of course I didn't know anything about this until it was too late.

I bought a new hard drive. I cloned my original hard drive which appeared to go okay. It wouldn't work. I kept getting the blue screen of death.
It seems to be a serious issue if you clone a hard drive that has media direct. I barely knew I had it and never used it.

I tried using some low level formatting and then did regular formatting and eventually I did write zeros to the entire thing.
It might be empty again but it has been truncated way below what it should be. It's a 320Gb (WD scorpio black) but it reads a capacity of 73.13Gb which is my original hard drive.
the bottom part of that page references my situation and says:
No amount of recloning, reformatting, repartitioning, or rejumpering will get the BIOS to recognize the full size of the disk.

I saw the software that will maximize HD capacity but I only have a USB docking station and it will not work on that. From what I've read there doesn't seem like there even is a solution for it anyway.

Is there alternative software that could maximize the capacity again via USB?
or
Does anybody know of another process that might work?

I'm not very familiar with HD's but this issue seems really bizarre.
They call it a "phenomenon"
I call it, dell owes me 150$ for not trying to notify me.

Any help will be awesome

Thanks

Old 04-16-2009, 12:36 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Were you trying to boot to the external drive since you cloned? Won't work - Windows won't boot to an external. Also, Media Direct is a pretty small partition, that isn't what got you. Cloning a disk will make an EXACT image of the source drive, so if you have an 80 GB source drive, and a 500 GB target, you end up with an 80 GB target. Just the way cloning works. I believe one or two have an option to maintain the size of the disk, I know hardware cloneing devices can, but they start out at about $2000.
Anyway, what program did you try to restore the capacity? Most tools do not run on USB since clearing the HPA requires teh computer to be able to send ATA commands and most USB devices do not support the full range of ATA commands. Best bet will be to remove the disk from the USB enclosure, mount it as an internal drive... read the blog here and and the questions and answers at the botom, and it should fix the problem... http://blog.atola.com/restoring-fact...rive-capacity/

Old 04-16-2009, 01:59 PM   #3
Registered Member

thanks for the reply

It's an internal hard drive.
I don't know if cloning is the correct word but I've used the same process on other systems and it ended up okay -> It had the old hard drive but more capacity.
from what I read it's specifically due to media direct.
http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/mediadirect.htm
".............When you try to boot the new disk, however, it blue-screens or fails to boot, and a check of the BIOS settings shows the BIOS thinks your new disk is around the same size as the old disk!.....etc "

I went to http://hddguru.com/
I used the low level formatting tool
but just for kicks I tried to use acronis again but it wouldn't recognize the drive.
Finally I used a download from Western Digital to Write Zeros.
Acronis recognized it. It would be able to clone to it again (no way) but that sees it as 73.13Gb still.
It's been truncated

That freeware is nice, but like you said it won't work via a USB.
I'm trying to confirm it will work before I buy cables or anything else I may need.
I'll look into trying to run it the other way. I read something about hooking it up through a desktop but my desktop is ide and I'm not sure I can do that.
It's as empty as it gets but still stuck at under 80Gb.

Dell is sending me reinstallation discs that should be the same my working hard drive already does. Recently they said if you install any system on it, it will permanently be stuck at this capacity. This hints like there is a way to undo it but they won't say how.
It's a better hard drive anyway. I'll probably end up using the discs with it and then trying this capacity tool on it. If it doesn't work and I forever lost 75% of my hard drive. It's better than going in the garbage because it functions better even if it won't hold what it should
Old 04-16-2009, 02:13 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Capacity restore has worked on every HPA tool I have tried it on MHDD will work on most HPAs. We do forensics and data recoveries so we clone drives everyday - and the size limitation is a function of the software used to clone. An HPA is not something unique to MD, it is in the ATA specs, and used quite often. In fact my two hardware clone units have it togleable to restrict teh size of the target to the size of the source. I am pretty confident the Atola tool will clear the HPA, just have to get it mounted on a bootable machine without using USB so the commands get passed correctly to the drive. More info on HPA http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Host_Protected_Area
Old 05-29-2009, 07:49 AM   #5
Registered Member

I kind of accepted having most of my drive lost for a while but I want to check again.

How do I run this since it's on my laptop
It won't run while the drive is in use and it won't work connected by USB

any hard ware, cables etc?
or is there a way to burn it to a CD and run it from start up?

thanks
Old 05-29-2009, 09:45 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Nope it must be connected to an IDE or SATA port, the USB interface does not allow the commands and protocols needed to be sent to the drive. If the drive is SATA and you have IDE in your desktop, you can get an IDE to SATA adapter for less than $20 which should do the trick - the problem wth externals is the whole USB translation and interface do not support full ATA command sets.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:14 PM   #7
Registered Member

thanks I'll look for that

what are those eSata express card
like this

can you connect it just with a sata cable?
or if I had something like
this
which has some sata connection

not that I want to spend money on all that if I can get something for 20$ which I would much rather do
but I was just curious because these were things I saw and wondered about

I think i found what you're talking about
will this do
?
if not maybe you could point me in the correct direction

thanks
appreciate it
Old 05-30-2009, 07:32 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

I'm not sure if Capactiy restorer will function with eSATA. eSATA isn't quite the same as SATA - so not sure how it handles the commands. The enclosure also may be a problem. The ultimate goal is to get teh drive mounted directly on it's native interface to ensure the software can address it correctly. Tough to do on a laptop, almost need a desktop to work from.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:03 PM   #9
Registered Member

okay

So, you think that adapter on ebay will work
Old 06-01-2009, 05:45 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

I've used that and others similar, that will work for passing the commands..
Old 06-09-2009, 10:22 AM   #11
Registered Member

first off
thanks
that device only cost me 6$. free and fast shipping

I ran that program and it worked (i thought)
HDD capacity restore, now sees it as the 320GB it should be
unfortunately my laptop and the desktop I used to do it only see it as 70GB

nevermind......

i just went into disk management and I'm formatting a new partition with it.
I think this should work okay now

I'm unemployed and in major debt, but when I get my stuff together again I'll have to hook you up as well that person that made that program
it's not the price of the hard drive lost that annoyed me it's not having a solution to the problem I had
now it is officially solved
You Rule

thanks again
Old 06-09-2009, 11:34 AM   #12
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

glad you have it sorted