Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

[SOLVED] Help with Samsung SV8004H

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Help with Samsung SV8004H within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My deal is this about 3 months back I was having tro0uble with this drive after wrongly installing Vista on

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 02:57 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

My deal is this about 3 months back I was having tro0uble with this drive after wrongly installing Vista on it.

Since I have been using it as a 2nd drive and it is suppose to be 80 GB in size but it only displays as 31.4 or 34.1 do not remember which one.

It is connected on my primary IDE channel as a slave with the proper jumper settings as well.

I remember when I assigned this drive a letter using XP's disk management utility it mentioned something about only being able to use either 31.4 or 34.1 but I was not too worried and did not think nothing of it as I was only needing a little extra storage at the time.

I now need the drive to be recognized as the full 80 gigs and because it will be used as the only drive to hold a fresh install on.

Any free tools and instructions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

Old 11-01-2008, 03:09 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

If I'm going to clear a drive for a fresh install I usually run Active Killdisk on it. Takes a while depending on which method you use. Three passes of a 250 gig Seagate took 6 or 7 hours last week, and last night I did a 150gig Raptor using a quicker method and that took about an hour. Works much better than the windows format during an install. The drive size is a large LBA recognition problem, I thought that XP SP2 addressed that and you shouldn't have the prob after that. Otherwise, I'm not sure about the disc size.
If you use Killdisk, have the drive you want to scrub as the only hdd connected, it would be easy enough to wipe the wrong drive if any others are present. I believe that the free version does only one pass, but that's plenty as multiple passes are more to ensure that data can never be recovered.
http://www.killdisk.com/

Old 11-01-2008, 04:25 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimx133 View Post
If I'm going to clear a drive for a fresh install I usually run Active Killdisk on it. Takes a while depending on which method you use. Three passes of a 250 gig Seagate took 6 or 7 hours last week, and last night I did a 150gig Raptor using a quicker method and that took about an hour. Works much better than the windows format during an install. The drive size is a large LBA recognition problem, I thought that XP SP2 addressed that and you shouldn't have the prob after that. Otherwise, I'm not sure about the disc size.
If you use Killdisk, have the drive you want to scrub as the only hdd connected, it would be easy enough to wipe the wrong drive if any others are present. I believe that the free version does only one pass, but that's plenty as multiple passes are more to ensure that data can never be recovered.
http://www.killdisk.com/
Sounds like a good app to wipe the drive but do you think that will resolve my disk size issue?

Keep in mind I have seen the drive using my Vista disk.

I ran the install disk to see if it would recognize the other partition on my drive that somehow disappeared but it only saw the 31.49 GB to be exact.

More feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:07 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Is there anybody who can help?

Do I need to provide any additional information?

Whatever is missing or wrong on my part please let me know so that I can correct it.

Again thanks in advance!

Old 11-05-2008, 07:49 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

Well don't really remember what exact steps I took but after three nights of straight torture I have successfully got the HDD to be recognized for it's full 80 GB and since have installed Vista Home Premium SP1 without any trouble what so ever.

I just wonder why there was no more feed back to my thread I have always had pleasant experiences when posting on on the techsupportforum.