Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

[SOLVED] Error Code (3FO) -Compaq Presario CQ62-310AU

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Error Code (3FO) -Compaq Presario CQ62-310AU within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi guys, So I went to use my laptop the other night and got an error screen saying: Boot Device

Old 04-11-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
Registered Member

OS: Win XP, Windows 7 Home Premium, 7 Ultimate, Fedora.

Hi guys,

So I went to use my laptop the other night and got an error screen saying:

Boot Device Not Found
Please install an operating system on your hard disk
Hard Disk - (3FO)
F2 System Diagnostics
For more information, please visit: www.hp.com/go/techcenter/startup

However, when i take the hard disk out, and connect it to my desktop externally, the hard disk reads fine and i am able to access all the files on the disk.. Also, when i plug in a spare hard disk i have with windows xp service pack 3 installed, the laptop alas, has the same error. Would this imply my motherboard, or sata connection ar at fault?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Alexx

Old 04-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #2
Moderator hardware team

Check the boot order in the BIOS remove any external USB drives or sticks and USB printers attached to laptop it sounds like its trying to boot off some device that has no operating system

Please mark the thread solved when your question has been answered to your satisfaction

Tools: Memtest IMGBurn SeaTools DOS WD Lifeguard R-Studio GetBackData Easeus Free Clone Software DRDD Partition Find and Mount
Networks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:41 PM   #3
Registered Member

Have checked boot order.
Order is HDD, DVD drive.
Nothing in DVD drive, no usb stick, or printers.. Just power cable attached, and I still get the same message?
Old 04-11-2012, 05:02 PM   #4
Moderator hardware team

What if you try to boot from a "known working boot cd" ?

Please mark the thread solved when your question has been answered to your satisfaction

Tools: Memtest IMGBurn SeaTools DOS WD Lifeguard R-Studio GetBackData Easeus Free Clone Software DRDD Partition Find and Mount
Old 04-11-2012, 05:27 PM   #5
Registered Member

I've tried with a spare windows 7 home premium 64 bit cd, to repair the OS, but still get the same error message..
Would it be the HDD though, if i can use it externally, right now throught my desktop?
Old 04-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #6
Moderator hardware team

So you are "confirming" the computer boots with a Windows 7 Home CD ? I would suspect another hard drive loaded on another PC would not boot on the laptop since its not installed for that specific hardware. I would start running hard drive diagnostics make a bootable CD with Seagate Seatools on it and run the short test if it fails no need to run the long test

Old 04-11-2012, 05:41 PM   #7
Registered Member

No, I still get no further with the startup process with a Windows 7 Home CD. It just loads the compaq logo screen, then straight to the error message screen, it will not load any further.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:18 PM   #8
Moderator hardware team

Run the diags on the disk from the desktop PC just to rule it out.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:19 PM   #9
Registered Member

What do you mean by that? I've done error checking on the disk from my desktop, and it came up with no errors, if that's what you mean/
Old 04-11-2012, 06:31 PM   #10
Moderator hardware team

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDeadMemories View Post
What do you mean by that? I've done error checking on the disk from my desktop, and it came up with no errors, if that's what you mean/
Can you tell me which diagnostics you ran on the drive from the desktop I don't see that noted in the previous posts. The error points to a bad drive even though you have been able to "read the files" which is a good time to get a copy of important data off the drive

My PC is saying Boot Device not found Hard Disk 3FO??/? - HP Support Forum

Old 04-11-2012, 06:38 PM   #11
Registered Member

I haven't done anything serious. Just error checking via the drives properties. So, even though the drive works externally, it won't work internally? I thought it might have been the drive itself, but couldn't understand how i could have it working externally, and have access to all the files, while it wouldn't work internally..
Old 04-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #12
Moderator hardware team

OK so download Seagate Seatools on the desktop and run the diagnostics on the drive and see what comes back. Its possible some sectors have gone bad in the first sector of the drive that holds the boot sector I have seen it before. Not sure what brand the drive is as you haven't provided that info. Seatools works on most all drives

Old 04-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #13
Registered Member

It is a Toshiba drive. Currently has passed the short generic and short drive self test. I am now undertaking the long generic test.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:10 AM   #14
Registered Member

The disk passed all three test, short generic, short drive self test, and long generic. What would that imply?
Old 04-12-2012, 05:45 AM   #15
Moderator hardware team

The "imply" is the drive is ok and something is up with the laptop one last thing to "try" is to reset the BIOS to default settings I can't tell you which key but read the menu in the BIOS Setup its in ALL of them Try to reset it and see if the computer will boot with the drive in it

Old 04-25-2012, 07:30 PM   #16
Registered Member

The problem ended up being the SATA connection from the HDD to the mother board. $13 off eBay, 30 second install, instant boot. No need to replace HDD. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:35 PM   #17
Moderator hardware team

Great!! thanks for the followup I know it may help someone else that runs across this thread in the future.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:41 PM   #18
Registered Member

XDeadMemories,

I had same exact problems and diagnosis!!!... I could boot drive in safe mode on another laptop in external USB HD enclosure, BUT, I never suspected the cable and was convinced it was the HD controller! I was also in disbelief as I have never had a controller on laptop go bad.

What was even more puzzling was I could not boot the laptop with drive in the external USB enclosure on that laptop and the enclosure has it's own controller so thats reason why i never questioned cable, but was actually at a lose as to what was wrong with it. I know hard drive was good because could boot off it on another laptop and even did diagnostic.

Long story short.. THANKS!!!!!! I'll buy a cable and give it a try!