Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

[SOLVED] Disk Read Error Occurred - What Do I Do?

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Disk Read Error Occurred - What Do I Do? within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I just tried turning my other PC on and got the message "A Disk Read Error Occurred, Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE To

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 05:14 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

I just tried turning my other PC on and got the message "A Disk Read Error Occurred, Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE To Restart".

When I press CTRL+ALT+DELETE it just restarts & I get the same message, although I am able to go into the BIOS etc before the message appears.

I am running Windows XP & have the following specs:

CPU - Intel Pentium D 920
Ram - 2gb DDR 2
Video Card - 256mb Nvidia Geforce 7600 GT
HDD - One 40gb IDE

I'd really appreciate some help with this. Reinstalling Windows isn't really an option either because I've lost my Windows CD, plus I hope I don't have to reinstall Windows because I have a lot of personal important stuff on that HDD that I don't want to lose.

Thanks.

Old 11-22-2007, 05:49 PM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Is the drive recognized in bios?

If its seen in bios download the drive manufactures diagnostic tools to test the drive, these tools are loaded onto a bootable floppy or cd so no operating system is needed to run them.

JOIN TEAM TSF
Old 11-22-2007, 05:53 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doby View Post
Is the drive recognized in bios?

If its seen in bios download the drive manufactures diagnostic tools to test the drive, these tools are loaded onto a bootable floppy or cd so no operating system is needed to run them.
How do I check whether it's recognized in bios? It must be recognized mustn't it because it's been working fine for a few months now.

Also, how do I check who manufactures the HDD?

Thanks.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:47 PM   #4
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Enter bios, also called setup, this is done by tapping a key (could be delete, F1,F2 depending on motherboard) at start up. Once in bios check under "standard cmos features or similar and see if its listed there.

The manufacture of the hardrive will be printed on a lable on top of the drive so you will have to open the case.

Post back with what motherboard you have or the name brand and model number of the computer and all so tell us the hardrive manufacture

JOIN TEAM TSF
Old 11-22-2007, 06:50 PM   #5
techpro5238

Hi Vanchatron

To check whether it is viewed in the BIOS you can tap F1, F2, F4, F6, F8, F11, F12, or the Delete key to get into the BIOS. Then look for your Boot Devices and see whether the HD is viewed or not. Then I would like you to tell me the manufacturer of your drive so I can give you the download link to the Manufacturers HD.

Old 11-22-2007, 06:51 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

OK yes it's recognized and the manufacturer is seagate :)
Old 11-22-2007, 07:03 PM   #7
techpro5238

Test your Seagate by using the Diagnostic Tool ISO. Burn the ISO using some burning software like Nero but do NOT use the Windows burning utility. Set the BIOS to startup from the disk and run the diagnostic on the drive. If it comes back with an error then post it here and I will work with you to return the data.

Old 11-22-2007, 07:05 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

OK thanks a lot that's great. I'll have to do it tomorrow though as I have no blank CD's at the moment & seeing as it's 3am I can't buy any right now. Please keep subscribed to this thread though as I'll reply back tomorrow as soon as I have got some blank CD's & run the Diagnostic.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:06 PM   #9
techpro5238

Do not worry, I subscribe to all of my threads and good night.

Old 11-22-2007, 07:06 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

Just one last thing before I go. If there is an error, is it possible to fix it so that I don't lose all the data on the drive? Night
Old 11-22-2007, 07:11 PM   #11
techpro5238

Well there is many things we can do to try and retrieve the data, but there usually isn't any way to really fix a dead HD. Really, I would have to be right there with you to fix the HD myself as you do not have the knowledge to do what I need. Like we would need a clean room and other things.

Old 11-23-2007, 10:39 AM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

OK I ran the diagnostic and it says the following:

Model: ST340015A
Serial: 5LAAKARG
Revision: 3.01
Test Results: PASSED

Test Info/Results:

ST340015A/5LAAKARG

Started Short DST
DST Completed Without Error
Short DST Passed

So it looks like there is nothing wrong with the hard drive
Old 11-23-2007, 05:12 PM   #13
techpro5238

Im osrry but you had to run the Extended test, sorry I did not tell you before. Run the extended test, I am sure the drive is dead but we will check now.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:40 PM   #14
TSF Enthusiast

Done but the same result :(
Old 11-23-2007, 08:48 PM   #15
techpro5238

Okay so I can cross out dieing HD. Do not worry and have hope, as I love hardware and I have never let it beat me. Usually this forum would tell me to check the drive but I suspected it had no damage. The most common issue is that the MBR is corrupted or a sector has gone bad ^^. Lets start trying to repair both.

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/19004/. Since it is very late I will just give you that link and you can read through that forum post ^^. You will need your XP CD and a HD enclosure so you can back up your data. Buy a HD enclosure and connect your HD to another computer to take the data off. Hope this assists you and I will be back to tommorow to assist you better as I am to tired right now

Good Night,
TechPro5238

EDIT: Also try replacing the IDE cable and see if this fixes it to

EDIT2: Sorry, I keep Editing (lol) but the next thing we could try is resetting your P and N list which is a drastic format which really will kill everything in the drive including low level instructions for the drive to normally work

Old 11-24-2007, 02:26 AM   #16
TSF Team Emeritus
Moderator, Microsoft Support

My System

It's a good idea to backup your data on another computer but please don't format the drive. There are freewares out there that can repair a MBR or boot sector without harming your data. An XP install disk can also help. Also if this is some file system error then running chkdsk will fix it. The extended test from the manufacturer's diagnostic tool can detect bad clusters (which can happen accidentally, no need to worry as long as they don't start to appear regularly) but can't fix file system errors.

Since this is a regular 3.5'' drive you can simply hook it as a slave in another desktop computer to backup your data. See this guide at "installations instructions" steps 1 and 2. Set the jumper as slave and hook it on the middle connector of the IDE cable on the other computer (replace the CD-rom or secondary hard drive if needed). It should get detected automatically. See if you can access your data from that other computer.

From that other computer you can give these two free programs a try :
http://findandmount.com/
http://www.pcinspector.de/default.htm?Language=1

If they say your partition/file system is fine then try running (start => run) chkdsk X: /F /R (where X is the volume letter corresponding to the non-working drive).

Another solution would be to use an XP install disk while keeping the drive in your own computer, but it's always better to backup your data so try the above first. You don't have to use your own XP CD, you can borrow a friend's as long as you don't use it to reinstall Windows on your drive. In the BIOS set the boot order to CD-rom first, save and exit. Press a key to boot from the XP CD when prompted to do so and press 'R' to start the recovery console when you have that option.

From the recovery console run
Fixmbr
Fixboot
chkdsk /R
Wait until it finishes and report with the result. Try setting back the boot order to HDD first and see if it gets any better.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:25 AM   #17
Not...

I would try justpassingby's suggestion first - using an XP disc and run chkdsk /r.

Start the computer with the Windows CD.
At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to select the repair option.
At the command prompt - type chkdsk /r > press <Enter>.
Type Exit > press <Enter>.

Take the XP disc out.

Reboot.

If that doesn't help:
Repeat the steps above, but type fixmbr instead > Enter, then fixboot > Enter.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:59 AM   #18
TSF Enthusiast

Thanks guys, I'll be going out in around an hour to pick up an XP disc from a friend then I'll try the CHKDSK etc options & post back with an update :)
Old 11-24-2007, 02:13 PM   #19
TSF Enthusiast

OK I just found my XP Disc & booted from it. This is what happened & the messages I got:

1) Press Any Key To Boot From Cd

2) Setup Is Inspecting Your Computer's Hardware Configuration

I've left it for an hour now and it's just hanging at a black screen doing nothing. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:22 PM   #20
TSF Team Emeritus
Moderator, Microsoft Support

My System

Try slaving the drive in another computer and see if it gets recognized correctly then run chkdsk from there. See post #16 for detailed instructions.

Closed Thread