Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

[SOLVED] bios won't recognized western digital caviar green 1tb

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] bios won't recognized western digital caviar green 1tb within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. hello there, well, recently i bought new caviar green 1tb harddisk, 32mb cache. as i was REALLY happy that FINALLY

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 09:54 AM   #1
Registered Member

hello there,

well, recently i bought new caviar green 1tb harddisk, 32mb cache.
as i was REALLY happy that FINALLY i got this bloody thingy & in the end I was NOT that happy again because the bios hardly to recognized the presence of the HDD.

I try many methods to make it appear though such as:

1. I swap, change, reverse & even "etc" the sata cable to the port (there are 4 sata ports).

2. The mobo recently underwent intensive flashing (3 times).The bios is the mod one( the old one to latest one to mod one again ).I even try used the latest bios & still the HDD wont reveal itself.

3. I try to minimize the power consumption of the mobo in hope that the HDD would run as if it was "more energetic" by disconnect my 2 old IDE HDD from the mobo.

-The new HDD (caviar green) seems to be spin & make some regular noise when the computer start & then suddenly it became quiet.The vibration... I don't know how to describe it but to me the HDD is kind of working though...I think.

- Computer would start but the green bios page hangs up & take a while to boot into windows.

4. When I press tab in order to make the post page lurk after the first bios page, the log described that the SATA...IDE device are not detected.

5. When I disable the AHCI, the post page after the bios page would describe that the there are error on the sata drive(I think its refering to the New HDD though). then it said "Invalid @ corrupted partition).

6. I try to disable the IDE device on the bios but....fail.

The most prominent thing that the window boots normally, no new HDD device detected.I explore in to management console, the New HDD are not listed in PARTITION MANAGER.

When I try to explore the device manager, miraculously under the disk drive, the new HDD recognized as SCSI device.I open the properties , i found that it has no volume....whatever.BUT IT SAYS THE DEVICE WORKS FINE...OH GOD THIS REALLY PISSED me off & I wonder why.

So Guys....I dont really what to say.....but one thing that's for sure...please HELP ME.......HUHUHU.

Anyway this were the PC specs:

1.Motherboard ASUS M2N68-AM PLUS
2.AMD SEMPRON DUAL 2100
3.40 Gb (Primary) + 80 Gb (Slave) Maxtor HDD
+ Caviar Green Western Digital 1 Tb, 32 Mb cache (the problematic one)
4.Bios- mod version (ASUS_M2N68-AM_Plus_0804_ASUS_SLP_SLIC_2.1_SSV3)
5.OS- winxp sp3.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:32 AM   #2
Team Manager - Hardware

Try setting SATA to IDE in the Bios.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:22 AM   #3
Registered Member

First of all, I would like to thanx 4 the reply.

Anyway, I try to find the sata & ide configuration (according to your suggestion) but, I found none.

I think the culprit behind the problem is the bios.maybe asus purposely hide it for some reason.

I just bought external enclosure though in hope that the HDD still usefull to me....but guess what it didn't work again.

But...anyway, I will return the hdd as its still under warranty.I'll inform you guys if the reclaim one works @ not on the mobo.

anyway, guys if you have some suggestions, please do let me know.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:48 PM   #4
Registered Member

hey.....guess what.I've sent back the harddisk & the guy say "my computer also won't detect your harddisk.it's DOA".I'm glad that it's still under guarantee(i'm sure that they try to find any scratches on the HDD just to make sure it is my fault for the HDD failure...lol) & i have to wait for a month....& finally i got back my HDD.Alas I can download anime without worrying about HDD space & burn it into DVD-RW.

I think if you ever cross over this type of problems..and you do exactly what i'm doing(refer to my first previous post)..i suggested that you have to return the harddisk.It's maybe DOA.The latest MOBO should not have any problem on detecting SATA2 @ SATA HDD.

Anyway guys...tq for your reply.Its only one reply here....& i'm still appreciate it.Cheers.
http://www.techsupportforum.com/images/smilies/wave.gif
Old 02-12-2010, 05:27 AM   #5
Registered Member

Do you have the power plug in start their. I had the same problem where drive was not seen in bios and I forgot to plug the power to my hard's.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:36 AM   #6
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

you would not get any more replies because you said you rma'd the drive and would repost when you received the replacement

to find the ide setting you highlight the sata listing in the bios and look in the dropdown box you get when you press enter