Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

Slave drive not showing up in 'my computer'

This is a discussion on Slave drive not showing up in 'my computer' within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I installed my slave drive (jumpers set to 'cable select' ) my cable even has the 'slave' end labled IDE

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 01:42 PM   #1
Registered Member

I installed my slave drive (jumpers set to 'cable select' ) my cable even has the 'slave' end labled IDE this is btw. I plug the necessary plugs in. I see it in Bios (does the settings automatically). XP boots up and says "detects new hard drive" or w/e. So I think "wow it worked". I go to 'my computer' and the slave drive isn't showing up.

Do i have to format the drive first or somthing ? If so , how do I do that.

Thanks to whomever responds to this :D

Old 11-04-2004, 03:08 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to karsten
I am not an offical administrator but I think I can help for I did the same thing recently:

Your hard drive(s) have many pointy metal things coming out of them, but not all of them are used for the the "big flat wire"
Some (8 of them) have this metal connector that signifies whether is the 'master drive' or the 'slave drive':

. . . .
. . . . that is slave drive

. . . .
. . . . (with the 1st over on the top connected to the 1st over on the bottom with a metal object) signifing it is the master drive

. . . .
. . . . that is factory default

move metal connector things carefully with pliers

Your master derive contains your operating system, your "other" drive, or slave drive, can be used for extra storage.

If your plugs are all correct...

Most new hard drives come with an installation CD. If yours didn't you will need real proffesional help.

1) Run CD before plugging in hard drive.
2) It will say you must shut down.
3) Peform correct plug-ins
4) Boot computer with CD still inside of CD-drive
5) It will ask you what you will use Drive for, just follow instructions...... good luck from a general client (remeber that)

Old 11-05-2004, 12:13 AM   #3
Registered Member

OS: Win 2000 pro Trying XP Trying a few Linux distros also

Roll Eyes

Hi saw your post, figured would throw my 2 cents in.

You didn`t mention the make of HDD you are using for you slave/secondary drive. More than likely the drive has the drive settings on the label, if not you will need to look at documentation that came with the drive, or go to the drive manufacturers site to obtain these.

For a simple 2 drive setup on a home computer the best arrangement would be to set your primary drive (drive with your operating system, programs etc) as master. Set the secondary drive as slave, not cable select.

You also need to make sure both drives have power supplied from the power supply via 4 pin connectors. The drives, basically due to physical approximation should both be on the same IDE ribbon, and attached to your motherboards Primary, or #1 IDE channel, with the primary drive at the end of the ribbon, and the slave at the mid point attachment.

Setting up this way you should see your drive when you start back up, should show as "D" with a shift occurring with your CD Rom, CD-RW, whatever other IDE devices you have gaining a letter in drive sequence. IE: your CD Rom was D, now will be E.

After you restart go to Start, Control panel, Administrative tools, Computer management. Once in Computer management go to Disk Managemnt.

Disk Management will show a listing of your IDE drives/devices. On top of the stack is your "C" drive, and will probably be a dark blue color, text at bottom left of this will no doubt state "healthy system", also will show actual size of drive, and probably NTFS, which is the most common type of file system used with Windows XP. If it says FAT 32, this is ok, but your next step should be to stay with FAT 32.

You should also see your D drive right below, a RIGHT click of the mouse in it`s field will show a list of possible commands. FORMAT it. It is here you will be asked FAT 32, or NTFS. Stick with what you already have on C drive. It will also ask about setting partitions, I don`t partition, many do, depends on your needs. If all you want is a BIG ole sandbox to stuff all your files and STUFF you accumulte it will work just fine as a single partition. Later when using this drive you can always go to top left, pick File, open a "new folder" and place like items in these new folders, or even multiple folders inside any one file. So you can creat your own filing system, and in a sense make your own tiny partitions as you go

Once clicked, Format is an autorun command, and it takes a few depending on disk size, be patient, let it run. It will let you know when finished. When finished restart your computer, on restarting go back to Disk management, look top left for VIEW, click on settings. A small box will open with black next to top choice. You may want to pick "Simple volume" again if your purpose for this drive is a big sandbox to put stuff in. It will color code it an olive color, and that drive is then ready to dump your toys (extra STUFF) into.

Best of luck.
g.w.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:53 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to bsamstag

I have the same problem, except the added "Slave" drive has all my data from an expired PC. Won't "formatting" it wipe out my data?
Old 05-30-2009, 02:21 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

@bsamstag look in disk management to see what the status of your slave drive is (right click my computer -> manage -> left column disk mangement the status should be displayed in teh bottom right column. If this came from another PC you might need to import the drive - Right click on the gray area showing the status and select import. If the status is online in the gray area, in the white area It should show the file system type ( NTFS FAT32 ) and Healthy. If it shows this and no drive letter, then click on the white area and select assign drive letter, pick a letter not being used and it should show up. If anything in the chain is not what is expected let us know. Please start a new thread however so we can provide more individualized answers.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:59 AM   #6
Registered Member

I wasted two full days of my "retirement" (i.e., laid-off) chasing this problem. Then, I inadvertantly selected "format" and panicked as I noted my mistake, and cancelled the format. But, enough damage was done in the few seconds run time to make the drive show as 0 files and 0 space. Not long ago, the format command generated prompts such as "Are you Really, Really Sure you want to do this???" No such prompt this time.

Now, I need to find another thread to find if there is some way to repair the "minimal" damage I've done so I can get back my much needed data.

Thanks for your response . . . B Samstag (aka: Sam)
Old 05-31-2009, 12:14 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

@bsamstag -Ahhhh OK start with test_disk as in this thread http://www.techsupportforum.com/f16/...er-194492.html this is a completely different situation :)
Old 06-01-2009, 01:18 PM   #8
Registered Member

Thanks!