Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

SimpleTech Portable Hard Drive Won't Work

This is a discussion on SimpleTech Portable Hard Drive Won't Work within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I just opened a brand new SimpleTech Portable Hard Drive (250GB, designed by Pininfarina), and I can't get it

Old 09-21-2008, 11:42 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, I just opened a brand new SimpleTech Portable Hard Drive (250GB, designed by Pininfarina), and I can't get it to work on my laptop.

The problem is, the hard drive isn't being handled correctly by the computer. When I plug in the USB cable to the USB port, the red LED light on the Hard Drive turns on (which indicates that it is receiving adequate power), but the drive doesn't show up under My Computer.

Additionally, "Found New Hardware" notifications pop up about every 1 or 2 seconds. And if the sound effects are anything to trust, the system thinks I am rapidly plugging and unplugging the USB device, which I am not.

I've tried plugging in both USB ports (the normal one, plus the additional one for extra power), with no success.

My laptop has 5 USB ports, and I have tried all of them, also with no success.

I have also tried disabling SLI graphics (to presumably free up some power), but that also didn't work.

The Portable Hard Drive is the only USB device I currently have plugged in, so I am hesitant to think that insufficient power is the root issue.

My laptop is in excellent condition; it runs extremely fast and everything works except for this Portable Hard Drive. I reformatted it less than a month ago, and I only have mainstream programs installed such as Microsoft Office, Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, AVG AntiVirus, Lavasoft AdAware, CCleaner, iTunes, and a few others.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-24-2008, 01:27 PM   #2
Registered Member

Anyone have any ideas? If I didn't provide enough information, I'll be glad to supply more.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:46 PM   #3
Registered Member

Still looking for ideas, if anyone has any. I can post my system specs if they would help?
Old 04-12-2009, 04:58 PM   #4
Registered Member

I got the same problem. Got the Simpletech 320 in the mail on 4-11-09. Unpacked it and plugged it in.. Only the red power light comes on.. The computer doesn't even recognize the drive. I've tried rebooting and also plugged it in 2 other computers. Guess I bought a piece of you know what. Going to send it back to Amazon.com Monday morning.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:48 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

The repeated found new harware warnings indicate this is probably a power issue, I've seen it several times on different USB enclosures that are bus powered. USB only provides about 500 mA of current to all ports, so if you have other devices connected.. mopuse or KB for example or even if nothing is there, 500 mA is marginal at best to run a drive. So are these drives bus powered or do they have their own AC power connection. If bus powered do they have a second USB connector that is power only?
About the only ways to fix this are to use only the drive, if there is enough current to spin it up - or to try a USB hub with it's own power supply so that it doesn't load the on board port's power.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:57 PM   #6
Registered Member

Grin

These drives seem to be junk drives. Mine has the same issue. Fortunately the drive inside is fine and works perfectly in a 10$ drive encasement that I purchased at a local computer store.

If your warranty is expired, I'd buy the new case and carry on.

Cheers!