Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

Seagate SATA Drive Failure (Need Help)

This is a discussion on Seagate SATA Drive Failure (Need Help) within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have the following: Seagate 200G Baracuda 7200.9 Firmware 3.AHH When powering up, you can hear the disc spin, then

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 11:27 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have the following: Seagate 200G Baracuda 7200.9 Firmware 3.AHH
When powering up, you can hear the disc spin, then intermitant clicking noise from the heads thus BIOS does not recognize the drive and get the 'disk boot failure' message. Also cannot 'slave' drive because BIOS does not recognize.
Any possibility to get the data off? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:18 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Clicking seagates indicate one of two problems, a failure in the haedsatck or in the SA sector of the platter. Neither of these is user repairable unfortunately. If you can find an acceptable donor drive you could try a PCB swap. Need to match Model number (starts ST###### ) Firmware version date of manufacture to within a few weeks and the country of origin or country code. If you googl 'seagate date code' you will find a couple of pages you can punch in the date code and it will convert to a readable date. It would be an outside chance that would work. I have seen it wqork once or twice, but it has usually required a head swap from an acceptable donor drive. I'm not sure if that drive would require the NVRam to be swapped on the PCBoard for the head map or not. Most head swaps I've done haven't required it, a few have. Recovery is possible by pro services but it ain't cheap.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:39 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks Raptor for the quick reply. I was hoping to hear from you. Are you familiar with any bad news about this hard drive? I know backups are required but it's a shame to lose data from such a new drive. I have other drives last much longer. This PC has not had much 'on/off' activity.

Haven't made up my mind on what to do..
Old 02-25-2009, 06:15 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Nothing out of the ordinary on the 7200.9 drives, I did lose one myself that was in an external case. About 2.5 years old, was on almost continuously the last 6 months of it's life. Head stack died. It was a 250. Have it in a drawer at work till I see a donor come through that is compatible. Nothing on it worth spending the time looking for one... You're probably talking $1000 and up for the repairs, and you'll still have a lovely paperweight after the recovery. head replacements are not a long term repair, it's a case of get it spinning and get the data.... then toss the brick.....