Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

Seagate external 500 GB hard disk is giving me an I/O Device error

This is a discussion on Seagate external 500 GB hard disk is giving me an I/O Device error within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I have a seagate external 500 GB hard disk and it is giving me an I/O Device error when

Old 10-09-2011, 10:22 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,
I have a seagate external 500 GB hard disk and it is giving me an I/O Device error when I try to access the subfolders.

The drive shows up in disk management and also in windows explorer (Please see attached screens scr 1 and Scr 2).

I am also able to see the folders in the root directory but if I try to access any of the subfolders it is giving me I/O Device error. (Please see attached screens scr 1 and Scr 2)

I ran scan disk and it is giving me the message - "Cannot open volume for Direct Access".

My operating system is XP but I have tried to connect to couple of other laptops having windows 7 and it gives me the same problem. I have checked using other usb cable also but no luck.

The external hard drive looks perfectly normal. No clicking sound etc.

One thing I would like to mention is that the external hard drive has only 55 GB free space (out of 500 GB). Could be this the problem???
When I try to delete some files to free up space, it gives me the same error message - "The request cannot br performed because of I/O Device error"
Please help !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scr1.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	98937   Click image for larger version

Name:	scr 2.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	98938   Click image for larger version

Name:	scr 3.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	98939  

Click image for larger version

Name:	scr 4.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	98940  

Old 10-09-2011, 10:51 AM   #2
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Here are the most common reasons:
How to Fix an IO Error | eHow.com
I would check the usb cable and maybe try another. With the drive that full if no help so far then I would try to connect without the external box directly to the system and if readable copy out whatever is on there because this drive is about to go down I think. Yes there is too much on it though where it's not a boot drive as yet that is not causing this but what is scary is I would bet the chipset that makes the usb connection is ready to flip out here.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Rich-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:05 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks Rich for your comments. I have checked with other USB cables and it is giving the same problem.

What I find surprising is that I am able to see all the first level folders. When I am trying to access those folders or copy them or delete them, that I get this error message. (please see attached scr 3 and Scr 4)

Is there any software that can be used to retrieve the data?

Regards
Savyasachi
Old 10-10-2011, 06:33 AM   #4
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

The easiest way is to connect the drive directly to the motherboard first.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Rich-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:41 AM   #5
Registered Member

I am getting this same error with a one year old Seagate 1 Tb hard drive. I have been using it as a second drive in my Windows XP (SP3) computer at work. I keep my email folders and documents on it but the OS is on another hard drive that continues to work fine.

I have a feeling it is virus-related. I can see all the directories on the drive and most sub-directories but when I try to access files more than 1 Kb I get the I/O error eg. : " H:\ not accessible. The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."

It seems that I can access and copy some 1 Kb files for some reason. Otherwise, there is no physical indication of a hardware problem - no funny noises. Any help would be really appreciated.

Any ideas?