Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seagate 1.5TB drive reads as 500GB after crash

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  raptor_pa 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have a new 1.5TB Seagate drive and an old 500GB drive. Recently I installed the new drive and during a file transfer lost a lot of info that you guys helped me retrieve. Now that I have my data back, I'd like to get this new drive up and running, but both windows and my bios are recognizing this drive as only 500GB instead of 1.5TB. Before the crash the drive read as 1.5TB. Now only 500GB. Is this drive toast or is there a way to fix it?

#3 ·
HAHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAH!

I used that program and reestablished the factory setting. Then I used the TestDisk program to scan the drive again and this time it worked! It restored the partition I had made previously and all the files I though I had lost, and just spent the past three days recovering from my old drive, were ALL there.

Wow.

I think I may know why this happened. I installed the new drive on a master port and the old drive was always on a slave port. When the computer crashed before I *THINK* it may have tried to boot to the new hard drive, which it thought should have been a 500GB drive (the old one) so it just called the old one 500GB. I don't know, it's the only thing I could think of. When I restored the new drive with TestDisk and restarted the computer wouldn't boot because it was trying to boot to the new drive. I had to go into bios and reconfigure it to boot to the old drive.

Is it bad to have my boot drive on a "slave" port in a SATA config?

#4 ·
There is no master slave on SATA drives. The terms are used in IDE configurations where there are two devices on one cable or port. All it means is that the master device on that cable is responsible for handilng the signaling on that cable for both devices. That is why on IDE there are two master devices, one for the primary port, one for the secondary port. SATA drives only have one device per port, so no need for a master and a slave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.