Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

SATA - slave drive

This is a discussion on SATA - slave drive within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I need to make one of my SATAs a slave drive. Currently i have three HDs and each is a

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 02:11 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I need to make one of my SATAs a slave drive. Currently i have three HDs and each is a master. I am trying to restore my OS using drive image xml and I need to make my C drive a slave drive. I know I must do this under the CMOS settings but I cannot figure out how to change it

Here is my MB manual http://america.giga-byte.com/FileLis...ds3l_2.1_e.pdf

the info is on pg 35.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:04 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

First of all, Sata drives do not have a master or slave designation. Only IDE drives have a master/slave designation.

List all your drive by type and tell us what issue you are having that makes you want to change like you have requested. Specifically, what is the computer doing/not doing that makes you want to change your setup?

Old 01-17-2009, 09:53 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Well I am using Drive Image XML to restore my C drive using an image on my D drive. I thought you have to slave the C drive to do this? Is this not the case and if not how is this done?
Old 01-17-2009, 10:06 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

Maybe you misunderstood or I didn't say it correctly for you to get the point I was making. Sata drives are Sata drives and there i no Master /Slave designations. On IDE drives, you change a jumper to make them either master or slave and put them a particular place on a ribbon cable to have them work with those designations.

A Sata drive can have an OS on it or be used as a stand alone with no OS installed. You can actually call them what you want (master-slave), but they are stand alone drives (or in a raid array if used for raid) and therefore, no jumper setting or particular ribbon cable setting is necessary. Hope that clears that issue up.

I don't use the Drive Image XML program so if you are familar with it, then go ahead and do the copy. My preference has always been the XXClone program (free) or Acronis program to make a drive clone or image.

Hope this clears up the misunderstanding about the sata master/slave issue.

Addendum: You should not have to make a slave drive to clone the image over. Just make sure you select the proper drives when asked the Source and the Destination drive so you don't erase your good image.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:32 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Linderman recommended the drive image xml. I tried it but it didn't seem to work so I just sent him a message asking him the question since he is familiar with it. Thanks
Old 01-17-2009, 11:17 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

Good Plan since I know he does recommend that program. Hope it all works out.