Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

SATA Primary drive 0 not found

This is a discussion on SATA Primary drive 0 not found within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Greetings everyone, I am experiencing some problems recently with my hard drive, basically it refuses to show in bios or

Old 09-13-2011, 04:27 AM   #1
Registered Member

Greetings everyone,

I am experiencing some problems recently with my hard drive, basically it refuses to show in bios or boot up. I'm running a Dell Dimension 8300 with factory added hard drive.

It all started one morning when I booted it up, all went well, browsed the internet a bit then went to check some of my files when the PC froze. I gave it some time but then when I saw it wasn't gonna fix itself I decided to restart it.

That's when the problem hit, right after the Dell splash screen I had an error that SATA primary drive 0 not found, and Primary Drive 1 and Secondary drive 1 not found either (these were my CD and DVD rom).

Anyway after that I opened my case and checked the connections on everything, unplugged all of them , replugged them in making sure they aren't loose, that didn't seem to fix the problem.

I've tried the battery trick next I believe and this is when I got my CD and DVD rom back, but still no hard drive.

For a day now Ive been trying every possible connection with different cables and such but nothing.

Also got myself another hard drive and the error still remains.

After some reading on the internet, it seems I have an IDE hard drive but the BIOS is looking for a SATA one ? Either it was tweaked to 'fool' it into thinking its a SATA while its IDE or I don't know.

I went into BIOS myself and checked everything there but to me it seems that the BIOS is extremely limited in options, its just like an ON and OFF switch. Besides that I used the ALT+E and ALT+F thing and still nothing.

I've also used my Dell Windows XP CD , when I boot from it , it gives me the option to install XP , repair it , or quit, when I try any of the first 2 options it says that it didn't detect any hard drives on my computer...

So yeah, I've reached the point where I ran out of ideas ...

Sorry for the long post but I tried to fit as much information as I could to resolve this issue fast and smooth

Thank you in advance.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:34 AM   #2
Moderator hardware team

What is the make model of the hard drive ? Have you tried a new IDE cable to the drive ? Did you confirm the jumpers on the IDE drive next to the power connector are set to cable select ? That is the normal setting for most Dell setups. The jumper block diagram is on the Hard drive label.

Please mark the thread solved when your question has been answered to your satisfaction

Tools: Memtest IMGBurn SeaTools DOS WD Lifeguard R-Studio GetBackData Easeus Free Clone Software DRDD Partition Find and Mount
Networks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:09 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Networks View Post
What is the make model of the hard drive ? Have you tried a new IDE cable to the drive ? Did you confirm the jumpers on the IDE drive next to the power connector are set to cable select ? That is the normal setting for most Dell setups. The jumper block diagram is on the Hard drive label.
The hard drive is a Hitachi Deskstar 180GXP Family, standard for the dimension 8300 , yes I tried a new IDE cable to both drives and nothing. Jumpers were set first as master, didnt work, then cable select and still nothing.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:58 AM   #4
Moderator hardware team

So 2 drives neither one will show up in Bios and the IDE is turned on in the BIOS then it seems the IDE controller on the MOBO has failed. It would be great to check both drives out in another system to be sure.

Please mark the thread solved when your question has been answered to your satisfaction

Tools: Memtest IMGBurn SeaTools DOS WD Lifeguard R-Studio GetBackData Easeus Free Clone Software DRDD Partition Find and Mount
Old 09-13-2011, 10:01 AM   #5
Tech Hardware Team
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

OS: Windows 8 Ent, Server 2012, 2012R2, Server 2008 R2 Stnd,

My System

Since they are IDE drives did you make sure that the Drive 0 with the OS is connected to the right end of the cable?
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~chsm...k/IDECable.jpg
Memory Test
loda117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:16 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loda117 View Post
Since they are IDE drives did you make sure that the Drive 0 with the OS is connected to the right end of the cable?
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~chsm...k/IDECable.jpg
Yes they are correctly plugged in, the pc was working fine before but it suddenly gave me that error .

Also I'll try to see if I can test my hard drives somewhere else but I think they both work :)
Old 09-15-2011, 12:52 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyby View Post
Yes they are correctly plugged in, the pc was working fine before but it suddenly gave me that error .

Also I'll try to see if I can test my hard drives somewhere else but I think they both work :)
Right well I cant seem to find somewhere to test the hard drives , but lets say they work , what happens now ?
Old 09-15-2011, 01:30 PM   #8
Moderator hardware team

Unless I missed something then replace motherboard would be next step if drives are ok but we can't confirm that at this point since you can't test the drives

Old 09-15-2011, 01:53 PM   #9
Registered Member

Well going around the BIOS , I cant do much , but I cant see my hard disk in the Boot Sequence menu , and in the SATA Primary drive it shows as Unknown Device . The second hard disk was working fine 2-4 weeks ago but I removed it from my PC because I didn't need it anymore , now when I plug it in it give the same error.

But seriously , what caused this ? Just a stupid freeze that came out of nowhere while browsing total commander ?
Old 09-15-2011, 02:26 PM   #10
Moderator hardware team

Electronics go bad could be static electricity from you when you went into the machine and it took out the drive they are ESD sensitive which is why you need to wear a ground strap on your wrist. Thats one possible explanation or just the age I think its an older machine correct ? You won't ever know the exact cause its has just failed. This is all assumption at this point no hard facts to prove this either way at this time.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:25 AM   #11
Registered Member

Had a friend take a closer look at it, seems that the hard drive actually malfunctioned so that was the problem , anyway , Im wondering why did the second hard drive act the same ? Oh well thanks all for the help :)
Old 07-07-2013, 01:15 PM   #12
Registered Member

When any PC has this error it is because the PC has a bad Hard Drive,the Hard Drive cable but 75 percent of the PCs with this error receives this message because has a bad main board.

Note;You can read in the all Forums a lot of instructions to fix this error when the correct problem came from a bad main board.