Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

[resolved]WD SATA as slave?

This is a discussion on [resolved]WD SATA as slave? within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I recently had a problem with my OS and I just want to set my SATA hd as a slave

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 10:17 PM   #1
Registered Member

I recently had a problem with my OS and I just want to set my SATA hd as a slave and my IDE as a master. I tried doing so, but when I log onto the IDE, it won't detect the SATA in "My Computer" I know it works because I can access the SATA, but i can't get past windows xp login. Long story... But yea.. Anyone know how to set a SATA as a slave and the IDE as a master? I want to burn all my info already and just reformat the SATA. I tried playing with the jumper settings but nothing works. I desperately need help because I got a paper coming up soon and I need my computer. Thanks in advance guys

Old 04-25-2007, 10:23 PM   #2
Not...

Hi,
Have you installed the SATA driver for your motherboard?

Nicholas

Old 04-25-2007, 10:47 PM   #3
Registered Member

I believe I have installed the driver. I installed it I think when I set up my mobo. I was reading that you go through bios to set it to slave, but where exactly in bios?

and if I have mistaken myself and haven't installed the drivers, is it true that you gotta install the drivers and format a hd with it?
Old 04-26-2007, 08:06 AM   #4
Not...

What motherboard (BIOS) do you have? Check device manager for yellow exclamation marks. If the drive is formatted you don't have to do that again after the driver is installed. You don't slave a SATA drive, but in BIOS set the computer to boot from the IDE drive before SATA.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:18 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

You might also want to make sure (if your board has this option - that is why eneles needs your specs) that your Hard Drive Priority in the Bios setup menu is set in the order that you want. Then, make sure your boot order that was mentioned by Eneles is set with the IDE drive as the one to boot from.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:54 AM   #6
Registered Member

Thanks for all your help guys

It turns out that everytime I format a hard drive I gotta install the drivers from the mobo onto the hd itself. Didn't know that at first, but thanks for all your help. Sorry for the inconvenience. Shoulda been able to figure that out myself, but dur. Thanks again guys.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:57 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hey, we are happy you got it going. Let us know if we can help further. Someone already marked it as resolved so we are good to go.