Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

[RESOLVED] S.M.A.R.T problem with slave drive

This is a discussion on [RESOLVED] S.M.A.R.T problem with slave drive within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. After some problems with WinXP which resulted in the slave drive vanishing, I finally managed to get up and running

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 03:31 AM   #1
Registered Member

After some problems with WinXP which resulted in the slave drive vanishing, I finally managed to get up and running again but, when booting, the following message appears:_-"Primary slave.Ultra DMA mode 3. SMART capable but command failed. Press F1 to resume". On pressing F1 the system then boots normally.

Extended tests have been run twice on the disk with no problems, except the statement "Smart status - not available". Speedfan shows the same.

My thinking is that this may be related to the 'main' BIOS, which gives the following information:-

Primary IDE master - cd/dvd
Primary IDE slave - the 80GB disk in question, which has yet to be formatted for use.
Secondary master -cd/dvd
Secondary slave - not detected
Third master - 160GB disk containing the operating system and files.
Fourth master - not detected.

Details for the Primary Slave show S.M.A.R.T monitoring supported, and it is set to 'auto'

The order of the items has, I think, changed since everything worked normally, probably as a result of my having to fix the mbr in the Recovery Console. I think it should be shown as 'Third IDE slave", although whether this will fix the SMART problem remains to be seen, but I can find no way of changing the order.

This is foreign territory for me so any advice and help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-17-2007, 03:50 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My advice would first be to move your OS drive to Primary master with another hard drive to primary slave. Going on frm that point, when possible, it is always best not to mix hard drives and CDRoms, but if you need to do that (many of us do), then hook up the hard drive as master and the cdrom as slave. The mix match can cause some problems and I am not sure if this is causing your problems, but changing those might be worth a try.

Old 08-17-2007, 06:08 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed36 View Post
My advice would first be to move your OS drive to Primary master with another hard drive to primary slave.
Thanks Tumbleweed, but that's my problem. I'm pretty sure that, prior to the earlier incident, the BIOS order was different, although I don't have the details now. I can't really see any problem with allowing the CDroms to take priority but, as the primary slave was originally slaved to the OS drive my feeling is that it still should be, whether it be primary or third, since it's physical connections are unchanged.

However, I can see no option in the BIOS to move them around - or am I missing something?
Old 08-17-2007, 09:49 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

What I was talking about was the way you physically connect them to the Primary and secondary connectors. I must have missed something so will reread when I have more time to be on. . Sorry for the misunderstanding, I guess that was not very clear in my answer.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:02 AM   #5
Registered Member

Sorry, did not make myself clear. No physical changes have been made at all. Everything is set up just the way it was when I bought it 4 months ago.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:37 PM   #6
Registered Member

Problem solved - almost. Formatted slave and turned off SMART monitoring in BIOS. Everything working.
Thanks for advice.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:13 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hey, glad you got it going. Don't be a stranger on here now, stick around and enjoy the forum.