Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

[resolved] adding a SCSI drive in XP without reformatting?

This is a discussion on [resolved] adding a SCSI drive in XP without reformatting? within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm trying to take a SCSI HD from a computer w/ a failed mobo and put it into a different

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 01:35 PM   #1
Registered Member

Confused

I'm trying to take a SCSI HD from a computer w/ a failed mobo and put it into a different (XP) computer in an attempt to pull my data off of it. The working computer already has an RAID array (mirrored 2x120GB, IDE) in it. I have the SCSI drive plugged in through a PCI card. BIOS sees the SCSI drive and so does Windows Disk Management.

Disk Management sees the disk as "Disk 0" and calls it "unallocated".

Any thoughts on how to assign the SCSI HD a letter and get the data off the drive...?!?

FYI: the SCSI HD isn't bootable.

Old 07-25-2005, 02:46 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman
Wink

Welcome to TSF:

You will need to connect or interface the scsi drive with a scsi controller card ????

other than the use of the controller card you shouldnt need much more configuring / the scsi drive should work easy in a slave 'role"

DONT FORMAT the drive

I think the problem you are having is the lack of a proper controller card ???? you cant connect those drives to raid connectors or anything similar in nature / win xp should reconginize the controller card right off the bat and not give you much trouble / unless you have an "off" brand controller card ???? are you able to see the scsi bios after the regular bios screen has completed its start up stuff

regards

joe

If you think a poor quality power supply cant make weird issues; think again!http://www.techsupportforum.com/f15/...ot-458103.html

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f15/...ml#post2598903
Old 07-25-2005, 03:30 PM   #3
Registered Member

thanks for the reply, joe. i'm glad to be a new member of tsf.

i fear i didn't make myself quite clear in my initial post.

in regards to the controller card... i don't think that's the problem i'm having. i have the scsi drive interfaced with a pci controller card. the card appears to be working and the scsi bios comes up when it should. i can see the card listed as #7 in the scsi bios and the HD is listed as #0. also, the general bios 'sees' the scsi drive and so does windows disk manager.

i think that i'm having trouble using the drive in a 'slave role'... ie getting windows to assign it a letter when it starts up. as far as i can tell windows just see the hd drive as 'un-initialized' and won't let me access the data. clicking 'initialize' in the disk manager doesn't seem to do anything either.

please let me know if my problem is more clear to you.

i greatly appreciate the help!
Old 07-25-2005, 04:58 PM   #4
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

If Windows sees the drive as unintialized, then the partition table appears to be damaged. You may want to try a data recovery application to see if you can rebuild the partition table, it appears that Windows is seeing the hardware. PC Inspector has worked for several people, and it's free.

Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Old 07-25-2005, 05:52 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Hmmm sounds like John Will has the symptoms diagnosed ??!! I would have to concur with him, I have never had that problem before / usually you install the controller card and then the drive is usuable / provided your scsi chain has termination ???? what kind of controller brand do you have / how about cable ?? what type ???

you may give the scsi disk utilities a spin ??? they are located in the scsi tools / to access them / hit the CTRL "A" prompt right after the regular bios completes its routine / you will see a notice of the scsi bios firing up / enter the ctrl A / then go into scsi utilities / there is a "verify" media in there / run that on your scsi drive and report it findings / we may get another clue ?? But John Will is generally accurate right out of the blocks !!

regards

joe

If you think a poor quality power supply cant make weird issues; think again!http://www.techsupportforum.com/f15/...ot-458103.html

Old 07-25-2005, 06:57 PM   #6
retired

Right-click Disk Management, Rescan Disks (or can use Action-Rescan Disks)

Right-click on the new drive, click Change Drive Letter and Path.
Click Add, click the drive letter you want to use, and click OK.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:48 AM   #7
Registered Member

Hi all... thanks for all the help!

Unfortunately, my woes continue. PC Inspector looked promising: it saw my drive (as a physical drive) and contained the utilities I needed to extract the data (I thought)... however, when I asked the program to scan for logical drives on the SCSI in question it came back to me (multiple times) with "error no. 1117 | drv:128 LBA:0 blocks:4096"... and it just won't go on from there.

In regards to the SCSI utilities: "verify disk" works fine and does not see anything wrong with the disk (that it tells me about)... So there's that kink in the plot.

Stu_computer: Rescanning the disks in Disk Management doesn't appear to do anything either -- and when I right click on the disk in Disk Management the only options I get are "initialize disk", "properties" and "help" -- nothing about "Change Drive Letter and Path" or "Add".

FYI all: I am using an Adaptec SCSI Card 29160N and the disk is a Seagate ST39236LW. The cable is an LVD/SE Ultra 160/m... terminated and hooked up properly (I think).

I am downloading "Partition Table Doctor 3.0" right now, following john will's lead. I'll let you know how that goes.

Again, thanks for the help. Keep the thoughts/suggestions coming.

-Parker
Old 07-26-2005, 04:43 PM   #8
Microsoft MVP

My System

If you're getting hardware errors, I'd check the cabling and termination. Are you SURE it's cabled and terminated properly with an active terminator? Did you try a new cable and/or terminator? What changed about the cabling since it was installed in the other system?

Old 07-26-2005, 05:41 PM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Wink

Are you sure there arent any "protection" jumpers set on the drive ????? many times we buy drives that were in servers in a mirrored config / they have jumper setttings on the drive that dont allow you to access them for writing / only reading / ???????

also poke around in the scsi bios / there are settings like "restore default settings" i would give that a try at this point ???

let us know

joe

Old 07-26-2005, 06:32 PM   #10
retired

The rescan part probably isn't necessary since dm already sees 'disk0'

Let me rephrase the second part...

Right-click on your drive0 icon, click Change Drive Letter and Path.
Click Add, select the drive letter you want to use, and click OK.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:37 PM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Wink

another thing to try that just seems to wake up the system at times / change the jumper pin ID of the scsi drive to number 3 or 4 / then reboot / just dont pick 7 / thats the default ID for the adaptec controller / also is you drive at the extreme end of the cable ??? closest to the LVD cable terminator ????

regards

joe

Old 07-27-2005, 09:48 AM   #12
Registered Member

Grin

Hey Everybody.

I finally ****in' works!

johnwill, my hat's off to you. You nailed BOTH of my problems. First, I needed to replace the cable. I'm not sure why... but with things like cables sometimes you just never know. Also, the partition table WAS corrupted -- and after I fixed the cable issue I was able to use Partition Table Doctor 3.0 to fix it all up.

I got my data off the damn drive and I feel much better about my life.

So, again, thanks to all of you. I plan on making TSF a regular stop in my web wandering!... and I'm trying to get my (small and modest) company to send a donation.

p.s. Was there a good way to fix my partition table without the aid of something like PTD 3.0? I tried some command line utilities... but none of them seemed to do the trick.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:58 AM   #13
Registered Member

Also... I don't see where to mark this thread resolved in the "thread tools" section.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:57 PM   #14
Microsoft MVP

My System

Thanks for the feedback. The newer fine pitch SCSI cables are pretty fragile, so it was an easy "shot in the dark".

I'll mark it solved for you, it's in the Thread Tools.

Closed Thread