Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

Replaced hard drive now get error message NTLDR is missing

This is a discussion on Replaced hard drive now get error message NTLDR is missing within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a HP Pavillion dv6700 that first told me that my OS was missing. I was told to replace

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 12:22 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a HP Pavillion dv6700 that first told me that my OS was missing. I was told to replace the hard drive which I did. I did not have the recovery disc so I ordered them from HP. Now my new hard drive is in but I get NTLDR is missing message. Now what do I do?

Old 12-05-2009, 05:22 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Hi and welcome...

You stated that you ordered the disc from HP; did you actually get them and run the restoration off of the CDs?

Thanks!

Old 12-06-2009, 08:07 AM   #3
Registered Member

The recovery discs did nothing. I called HP, explained that I replaced the hard drive with an external hard drive (taken out of the case and installed in notebook) they said I need to format the hard drive. I don't know how to do that with it in the notebook that doesn't work. Any ideas?
Old 12-06-2009, 08:44 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Hi and thanks for the update!

Just to sort this all out…..
  1. You have a “different” hard disk drive installed in your laptop, physically installed in the laptop?
  2. You have the restoration CDs that HP sent you?
Also, please look on the bottom of your laptop and get the actual model number off of the tag for us. DV6700 is a generic number and there are over 300 items under that generic number.

What are the part numbers on your restoration CD/DVD?

Also, just for some heads up information, you can have look here. This probably is not your actual laptop, but will give you an idea on how to recover an HP laptop:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...roduct=3652941

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2009, 09:40 AM   #5
Team Manager - Hardware

You get the NTLDR Missing because there is no OS for the Hdd to boot to.
The original Hdd had a partition for the Restore Disc to boot from to install/repair the OS so you may not be able to use a Restore Disc. HP should have supplied that info.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:47 PM   #6
Registered Member

Razz

My computer is a HP Pavillion PN KN854UA#ABA

Today I decided to go out and buy an internal drive to install but I haven't started yet. Am I safe to go to the HP support web site and follow their directions? I have two recovery discs that I bought from them.

Two lessons learned here, be sure to make back up discs and don't listen to salesman at stores, even if they look like a person from geek squad.

Thanks have a nice day.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:47 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by kargert View Post
My computer is a HP Pavillion PN KN854UA#ABA

Today I decided to go out and buy an internal drive to install but I haven't started yet. Am I safe to go to the HP support web site and follow their directions? I have two recovery discs that I bought from them.

Two lessons learned here, be sure to make back up discs and don't listen to salesman at stores, even if they look like a person from geek squad.

Thanks have a nice day.
LOL.... you mean ESPECIALLY if they look like a person from GEEK SQUAD!!! Never trust anyone who drives a VW Bug and wears Blues Brothers clothing!

Sorry, couldn't pass all of that up! Good luck and let us know if you need anything else! If you are successful, please mark the thread SOLVED by using the THREAD TOOLS!

Thanks!