Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

Re: How to run IDE drive from SATA connection?

This is a discussion on Re: How to run IDE drive from SATA connection? within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I recently bought a new pc which has no IDE connectors, however I have about 600gig of old hard drives

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 02:30 PM   #1
Registered Member

I recently bought a new pc which has no IDE connectors, however I have about 600gig of old hard drives from my old pc. I have bought an IDE to SATA adapter which I have fitted, it has an adapter which fits to the hard drive with a place to plug a power supply and the SATA cable. I have also powered the HDD with another power supply. It has been formatted by windows. This is where I am stuck, the power supply for the adapter is a FDD cable and windows is seeing it as a floppy disk, BIOS doesn't detect it at all.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:49 PM   #2
Moderator Hardware Team

OS: WinME, WinXP Pro SP3, Win7(x64), Linux distros incl. Ubuntu 9.10 & Netbook Remix & CD2USB, Slax6.1

My System

the power cable used to power your adapter has absolutely nothing to do with your seeing the adapter as a floppy drive.

CAn you link me to a source of your adapter ??
most Adapters I have seen for IDE drives are boards that plug in to the motherboard.
Adapters that I have seen which have IDE & SATA are used via a USB cable to connect either SATA or IDE to a PC. They usually have a 4 pin molex that allows 5V to be supplied to a 2.5" drive should a mini IDE connector be mounted on it as well. I am wondering if you may have confused 2 separate items or someone has misled you about how this could be used

I'm not old!!
I'm age impaired

D_F

I DON'T PLAY GAMES

How to mark your thread as solved

HDD DIAG UTILS

TSF's Photographer's Corner

Submit New Articles Here

How to Use Ubuntu to Recover Windows files
Old 01-01-2008, 03:38 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done_Fishin View Post
the power cable used to power your adapter has absolutely nothing to do with your seeing the adapter as a floppy drive.

CAn you link me to a source of your adapter ??
most Adapters I have seen for IDE drives are boards that plug in to the motherboard.
Adapters that I have seen which have IDE & SATA are used via a USB cable to connect either SATA or IDE to a PC. They usually have a 4 pin molex that allows 5V to be supplied to a 2.5" drive should a mini IDE connector be mounted on it as well. I am wondering if you may have confused 2 separate items or someone has misled you about how this could be used
As requested here is the link
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/124850
I don't know if i'm doing something completely off the cuff but this is bugging the hell out of me.

Thanks for you quick reply..
Old 01-02-2008, 10:11 AM   #4
Moderator Hardware Team

OS: WinME, WinXP Pro SP3, Win7(x64), Linux distros incl. Ubuntu 9.10 & Netbook Remix & CD2USB, Slax6.1

My System

Thanks for that link .. now I know what we are talking about .. first time I have come across one of these, although I am not surprised that they are now available considering the way motherboard manufacturers are pushing us away from old ideas and onto the latest technology. Someone has to fill the gap and it's probably the same people that are driving us away from IDE towards SATA that are filling the gaps in requirements.

Do you actually have a floppy drive installed (and enabled in BIOS) on this PC? Have you tried placing a floppy inside to see if it is really the HDD that you are seeing as a floppy drive or you are just seeing that an A: drive has been allocated. It is allowable when NO FLOPPY is installed and all spare HDD allocations have been used , to use the A: & B: allocations for HDD's.
Apart from mentioning that you should ensure that the IDE cable is firmly mounted and in the correct manner have you also ensured that SATA is enabled in BIOS?
CAn you give me details about your motherboard so I can "SEE" your system too.

Thanks

I'm not old!!
I'm age impaired

D_F

I DON'T PLAY GAMES

HDD DIAG UTILS

Submit New Articles Here

Old 01-02-2008, 01:13 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman

sounds to me like the motherboard needs its sata controller driver ????

the "make sure the SATA option in the bios is enabled" is another great suggestion by Donefishin

If you think a poor quality power supply cant make weird issues; think again!http://www.techsupportforum.com/f15/...ot-458103.html

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f15/...ml#post2598903
Old 01-02-2008, 02:12 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks for that link .. now I know what we are talking about .. first time I have come across one of these, although I am not surprised that they are now available considering the way motherboard manufacturers are pushing us away from old ideas and onto the latest technology. Someone has to fill the gap and it's probably the same people that are driving us away from IDE towards SATA that are filling the gaps in requirements.

Do you actually have a floppy drive installed (and enabled in BIOS) on this PC? Have you tried placing a floppy inside to see if it is really the HDD that you are seeing as a floppy drive or you are just seeing that an A: drive has been allocated. It is allowable when NO FLOPPY is installed and all spare HDD allocations have been used , to use the A: & B: allocations for HDD's.
Apart from mentioning that you should ensure that the IDE cable is firmly mounted and in the correct manner have you also ensured that SATA is enabled in BIOS?
CAn you give me details about your motherboard so I can "SEE" your system too.

Thanks
Thanks again, not sure in what order to make this reply so I'll just answer as I can read. No I do not have a floppy disk drive installed. IDE is definately plugged in correctly as is the SATA cable. Enabled in BIOS...mmm not sure how do I do this I have gone in to it and told it to auto detect is this what you mean.
Model number for the motherboard is FOXCONN 946G27MA-FRS2H.

Thanks again and thank you for so many quick responses.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:19 PM   #7
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

regret didn't find any info when I googled FOXCONN 946G27MA-FRS2H and only one source of info when I googled 946G27MA which was in a gamers forum about RAM for a $28 mobo. I need more info

I'm not old!!
I'm age impaired

D_F

I DON'T PLAY GAMES

HDD DIAG UTILS

Submit New Articles Here

Old 01-02-2008, 02:26 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
regret didn't find any info when I googled FOXCONN 946G27MA-FRS2H and only one source of info when I googled 946G27MA which was in a gamers forum about RAM for a $28 mobo. I need more info
Sorry that is the only info I've got there is a website www.foxconn.com and you can download updates etc from that, just got the motherboard manual and I'm convinced it is in a different language!
Old 01-02-2008, 02:54 PM   #9
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

closest I found to your board is 946GZ7MA-KRS2H

manual should be here

I see an IDE connector on this board albeit just the one, blue colour in the bottom centre and next to the floppy drive/ power connector.

page 19 of the manual says
Quote:
IDE Connectors: PIDE
The PIDE connector supports Ultra ATA 100/66 IDE hard disk drives.
Connect the cable’s blue connector to the IDE connector, then connect the gray
connector to the slave device (hard disk drive) and the black connector to the
Ultra ATA master device.
page 28 is the start of the BIOS section which you should try to read & understand.

page 30
Quote:
IDE Channel 0/1/2/3 Master/slave
These categories identify the HDD types of 1 IDE channel installed in the computer
system. There are three choices provided for the Enhanced IDE BIOS:
None, Auto, and Manual. “None” means no HDD is installed or set; “Auto” means
the system can auto-detect the hard disk when booting up; by choosing “Manual”
and changing Access Mode to “CHS”, the related information should be entered
manually. Enter the information directly from the keyboard and press < Enter>:
page 41 but you should start reading at page 39 .. and keep on reading so that you understand the correct function for all settings.
Quote:
[On-Chip Serial ATA Setting]
*SATA Mode
This option is used to set the Serial ATA Mode. The available setting values
are: IDE, RAID, AHCI.
*On-Chip Serial ATA
This option is used to set the On-chip Serial ATA function.
*SATA PORT Speed Settings
This option is used to set SATA port speed settings.
*PATA IDE Mode
When On-Chip Serial ATA set as “Combined Mode”, this option will be modified.
It is used to set the PATA IDE Mode. The available setting values are: Primary,
Secondary.
*SATA Port
This option is used to set the Serial ATA Port.

I'm not old!!
I'm age impaired

D_F

I DON'T PLAY GAMES

HDD DIAG UTILS

Submit New Articles Here

Old 01-02-2008, 03:00 PM   #10
Registered Member

Yes that the motherboard I have but my one IDE is being used by my DVD writers. Sorry all that writing means nothing to me.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:02 PM   #11
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Why do you need 2 DVD writers??

I'm not old!!
I'm age impaired

D_F

I DON'T PLAY GAMES

HDD DIAG UTILS

Submit New Articles Here

Old 01-02-2008, 04:40 PM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

My System

try using some of the other sata plugs on the motherboard also

If you think a poor quality power supply cant make weird issues; think again!http://www.techsupportforum.com/f15/...ot-458103.html

Old 01-02-2008, 05:00 PM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

My System

i think an easier route for you may be to run your dvd writers off an IDE controller card / then run your drives off the IDE plug on the motherboard

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/124511...specifications

this card will run 4 IDE drives / either hard drives or cd/dvd drives or mixes of them

Old 01-03-2008, 10:09 AM   #14
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by linderman View Post
i think an easier route for you may be to run your dvd writers off an IDE controller card / then run your drives off the IDE plug on the motherboard

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/124511...specifications

this card will run 4 IDE drives / either hard drives or cd/dvd drives or mixes of them
Personally I would have gone that way myself, from the start, If I wanted to add more drives to my PC ..

Don't forget though that the more accessories you add the better your power supply has to be .. you'll get away with adding "power hungry" drives initially but eventually your supply will tire and could fail with catastrophic results.

I'm not old!!
I'm age impaired

D_F

I DON'T PLAY GAMES

HDD DIAG UTILS

Submit New Articles Here

Old 01-03-2008, 02:38 PM   #15
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Done Fishin added a very good point ! unless you have a high quality PSU, the addition of four drives will make a generic psu grunt for sure.

Closed Thread