Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

problem formatting hard drive

This is a discussion on problem formatting hard drive within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have two hard drives in my PC and I want to format them both. I've done one and windows

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 10:50 PM   #1
Registered Member

Question

I have two hard drives in my PC and I want to format them both. I've done one and windows has installed on that drive, but when I want to format the other, windows installs on that drive as well and appears to be causing me problems. How do I format the second drive without installing windows.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:14 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Go to Start/my computer and right click on the drive you want to format and click format

Old 07-11-2008, 12:08 AM   #3
Registered Member

I tried doing that Kodi, but it wouldn't do the format. currently I have the drive disconnected otherwise the computer won't run at all
Old 07-11-2008, 04:22 AM   #4
Registered Member

If can get your computer to run on the hard drive that you want your OS installed on with the second hard drive installed in your computer. Go to "Start", right click on "My Computer", "Manage", "Storage", "Disc Management (Local)", right click on the hard drive you want formatted and "Format". Follow the instructions... you'll probably want a basic disc NTFS.

If you can't get your computer to start with both hard drives installed, get an external hard drive enclosure from pretty much any computer place. Make sure that it's a 3.5". Put your drive in there and plug the enclosure in via USB after computer start up. Follow the instructions from above. After formating your hard drive, replace inside your computer and make sure it's enabled in the BIOS settings.

When buying your external hard drive enclosure make sure that it supports your hard drive type (IDE or SATA or both)or you won't have the right connector cables, and that it supports your hard drive size, or you won't be able to format the entire drive. You can find good hard drive enclosures for about $20, and even cheaper when on sale. Here's one to look at.

Let me know how it goes.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:11 AM   #5
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

well you cannot format it if it is not connected
clear the disk with killdisk
http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm
make sure you clear the right drive
then go into disk management and format it
Old 07-11-2008, 11:16 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njw3356 View Post
If can get your computer to run on the hard drive that you want your OS installed on with the second hard drive installed in your computer. Go to "Start", right click on "My Computer", "Manage", "Storage", "Disc Management (Local)", right click on the hard drive you want formatted and "Format". Follow the instructions... you'll probably want a basic disc NTFS.

If you can't get your computer to start with both hard drives installed, get an external hard drive enclosure from pretty much any computer place. Make sure that it's a 3.5". Put your drive in there and plug the enclosure in via USB after computer start up. Follow the instructions from above. After formating your hard drive, replace inside your computer and make sure it's enabled in the BIOS settings.

When buying your external hard drive enclosure make sure that it supports your hard drive type (IDE or SATA or both)or you won't have the right connector cables, and that it supports your hard drive size, or you won't be able to format the entire drive. You can find good hard drive enclosures for about $20, and even cheaper when on sale. Here's one to look at.

Let me know how it goes.
I will try that, but it will have to be tomorrow, so will let you know how it goes.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:18 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dai View Post
well you cannot format it if it is not connected
clear the disk with killdisk
http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm
make sure you clear the right drive
then go into disk management and format it
well I know I cannot format it if it not connected. what is killdisk, is it a software program?
Old 07-12-2008, 12:50 AM   #8
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

it's software that completely wipes the drive,if setup started on the other drive everytime you boot it will try to continue
by clearing it with killdisk you can then go into disk management and format it without setup kicking in
Old 07-13-2008, 02:06 AM   #9
Registered Member

Thanks everyone for all the help. I've now formatted the second drive and all seem to be working OK except the DVD drive is not recognising discs at all. But I'm taking the computer to an expert tomorrow so hopefully all probs will be solved.

Thanks again.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:09 AM   #10
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

remove the upper and lower filters
scroll down to how here
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=k...060&x=12&y=13#