Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

Possible Drive Failure

This is a discussion on Possible Drive Failure within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Have got an interesting problem with a PC that I support, its new and the darned thing has stopped booting

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 03:11 AM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Have got an interesting problem with a PC that I support, its new and the darned thing has stopped booting up, says imminent drive failure, this is what it says in boot up:

1720-SMART Hard Drive detects imminent failure.
Failing Drive: SATA 0 (dark blue)
Failing Attribute: # 05
To minimize the risk of data loss, backup the contents of your hard drive and run DPS Self-test in F10 Setup.

Initializing Intel (R) Boot Agent GE v1.2.50
PXE 2.1 Build 086 (WfM 2.0)

PC is a HP Compaq dc5800 Small Form Factor, probably with an intel chip and a seagate 250GB drive

It probably is under warranty but trouble is that its in another country and getting it back here and then back to HP will be a pain so I'd like to find a solution myself. Is it definitely a drive about to die or could it be a false report from the SMART utility? If so how do I bypass it or update the firmware?

Any help would be great, thanks.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:24 AM   #2
Tech Hardware Team

I would say the drive is dieing, or already dead. You may try
going into bios and disabling Smart, this may or may not allow you
to boot. Other than that I dont know.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:25 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

I have never seen SMART 'false' - SMART sensing is internal tot he drive at the firmware level of the drive. The attributes are stored in the SMART tables in the drives swervice area and are simply reported by the drive to the smart utility. Pretty simple system at the physical level of the drive. Attribute #5 is reallocated sector count, - indicates too many bad sectors.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:09 AM   #4
Registered Member

My System

Yeah, I thought as much, managed to talk the end user through doing the hard drive self test and it gave up 10 seconds into a 40 minute test. "replacement advised"!

Funny isn't it? The dozen new PCs in this office work fine as do the 60 or so that are 7 years old, but the one we send to France goes bang.

One thing though, it failed the morning after it was left on overnight doing windows auto update, and had no reported trouble before.