Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Partition - Boot Nightmare

926 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  dcduo 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I am currently working on a customers computer that had required a Vista reinstall. He seems to be quite a music enthusiast, as the Windows Easy Transfer backup came in at over 300 Gb. When reinstalling, I thought it best, quickest and safest to save his backup in a separate partition. This all worked well, Vista reinstalled and backups returned to their proper place.

The now-excess backup partition (being over 300Gb on a 1tb drive) I had decided to delete and expand the Windows partition onto. This I did with Partition Wizard. However, now the system wont boot, giving a 0x0000007B error.

So far I have tried bootrec in all it's forms, a 3/3 chkdsk, the regular startup repair and a system restore through the Windows Disk, but so far nothing has worked. Safemode also doesn't work. The drive is in full working order and files can be accessed through MiniXP.

My next port of call would be to do a Chkdsk /r, but I really wouldn't have the time to mess around with this if it wasn't the last available option.

Would anybody happen to have any ideas? Perhaps I am forgetting something simple!

Any help is much appreciated,

Darran.

See less See more
#2 ·
I had decided to delete and expand the Windows partition
If you deleted the Windows partition, you will need to reinstall Windows.
You can Save their backup partition to another drive and wipe the drive and start over and do not partition the drive, install windows and restore their user files back.

#3 ·
The now-excess backup partition (being over 300Gb on a 1tb drive) I had decided to delete and expand the Windows partition onto.
Sorry, you picked me up wrong. I had deleted the backup partition and expanded the Windows onto it (the free space). At the end of the day, a chkdsk /r wouldn't cut it, exhausting all other options I just had to reinstall again, this time on a second partition containing Windows and the previous partition being used as a backup. It seems to be the best way about it.

Thank you for the help anyway!

#7 ·
We're like minded I think! I had been pondering, the only other major-ish things that I had done prior to restarting was to install a graphics driver and activate windows. Unless either of those went terribly wrong, but I'm not sure why safe mode didn't help!

It looks like it was just one of life's great mysteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.