Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

NTFS external hdd suddenly showing RAW and is inaccessible

This is a discussion on NTFS external hdd suddenly showing RAW and is inaccessible within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi! I recently bought a 1TB western digital external hard drive. I copied date into it a few times and

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 11:41 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi! I recently bought a 1TB western digital external hard drive. I copied date into it a few times and it worked fine. However, today morning when i plugged it, the drive was detected but the file system was RAW. it used to be NTFS before.

The drive is detected both in My computer and in Disk management. But both are showing RAW for filesystem. I ran chkdsk on the drive (G:) and it gave the following message

C:\Windows\SYSTEM32>chkdsk G:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is New Volume.

WARNING! F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
26640 file records processed.
File verification completed.
1 large file records processed.
0 bad file records processed.
0 EA records processed.
0 reparse records processed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
Error detected in index $O for file 25.dex entries processed)
Error detected in index $O for file 25.
Error detected in index $I30 for file 18841.ntries processed)
Error detected in index $I30 for file 18841.
34922 index entries processed.
Index verification completed.

Errors found. CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode.

I am guessing that there is some corrupt data on the disk.

Please help me out.

Thanks,
Abhiram P

Old 03-30-2009, 12:02 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Either the partition table or MBR is corrupt or for some physical reason can't be read. Follow this sticky to run testdisk against the disk to try to rebuild the p-table and MBR. If it fails running int he external enclosure, then remove the disk from the enclosure and install it as an internal drive in the PC to run testdisk against it. Do not use chkdsk - it cannot repair these issues.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:49 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hi! I ran testdisk against the drive, followed all the steps and rebooted. still the same. It says i need to format G: to be able to use it. Mine is a laptop and i use the hdd docking station to access the drive. what needs to be done now ?
Old 03-30-2009, 01:19 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Do you have access to a desktop to mount it internally and try testdisk? You could also try "partition find and mount" and if it finds the partition then copy your data to another disk - at that point if the drive is under warrrantee then RMA it, or else zero wipe with killdisk or d-ban and reinit, partition and format and try again. I would be careful and maintain good backups since the drive failed once....
Old 03-30-2009, 03:13 PM   #5
Registered Member

Hi, I am able to read the contents of the disc thru "Partition Find and Mount", but unable to copy them to a different drive. I did as was told in the Find and Mount help. I mounted the drive and assigned a letter to it and it opened in Windows Explorer. So far so good, but no copy operation permitted. It says

"A:\ drive refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer or on a network...."

please help me.

thanks,
Abhiram
Old 03-30-2009, 05:11 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Sounds like it is trying to copy it to a floppy, or you mounted it as A: remount it it as M and then open another explorer window and drag and drop to where you want the files.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:17 PM   #7
Registered Member

same thing happened again. what difference can it possibly make by changing a drive letter ? I dragged and dropped, even then i got the same message
Old 03-30-2009, 05:33 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

Is the letter pointed to by the error the drive you are copying from or the drive you are copying to? A: is usually recognized by the OS as the floppy drive, was hoping it just didn't like having the HD pointing to the same letter.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:35 PM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

Also try opening a command prompt and typing dir x:\ where x is the letter you mounted the drive and see if that recognizes the drive and shows the directory listing.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:28 AM   #10
Registered Member

Hi, I tried everything. I changed the drive letter of the disc from A to M and tried to access, then I tried to drag n drop, I even tried opening the drive in the command prompt. It said "cyclic redundancy check."

The only thing I have not tried as yet is connecting to a desktop as an internal drive and running testdisk. is there anything else that i can do ? Thanks a lot for ur replies.

Abhiram
Old 03-31-2009, 09:25 AM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

You can try r-studio or getdataback. I would get it on a desktop though just in case part of the issue is the USB interface in the housing. Eliminate as much of the translation as you can. It could be the enclosure causing all the issues. Get it in a desktop and try fid and mount again...