Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

No signal

This is a discussion on No signal within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Help! Just bought my first ever desk top computer, knowing nothing about computers, I have connected all leads from monitor

Old 04-02-2012, 08:54 PM   #1
Registered Member

Angry

Help! Just bought my first ever desk top computer, knowing nothing about computers, I have connected all leads from monitor to the computer and power supply, when I turn the computer on a message shows 'no signal' next to DVI and VGA - everything is connected though, what am I doing wrong?

Old 04-02-2012, 08:57 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

You probably have a separate video card further down and you are plugging the monitor into the onboard VGA port that is up higher

spunk.funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:29 PM   #3
Registered Member

I thought so, but the cable that came with the monitor does't fit, it only fits the port thats marked VGA, and same sized on the other end in the computer. Should I get a different cable that fits the port marked 'DVI' instead?
Old 04-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

If you can take a picture of the back of your computer showing the Video card and attach it in your next post, that would help in the assist. If your video card only has DVI and does not have a blue VGA port, you can get a VGA-DVI adapter. Also, see if your monitor has a DVI out, then you would need to get a DVI cable to go from monitor to video card.
spunk.funk is online now   Reply With Quote

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Secondary monitor detected, no signal
Hello, I'm new to this forum (havent ever really posted in forums at all). I know this topic has been covered many times in many ways, but I have not found a story quite like mine and thats why I'm here. I have used many multiple displays in the past, and have recently been using my samsung 52"...
dyrankun Other Hardware Support 1 04-07-2012 12:16 PM
No sound from my Dell Insperion 700m
What's up people? Please help! I have a Dell Insperion 700m and am not able to get any sound out of my laptop speakers. I have tried to update drivers and I know that they are not muted. I just cant figure it out
dswin Sound Cards 1 04-04-2012 08:34 AM
No POST beep
My friend's computer has been unable to power up 9 out of 10 times. I tried a different power unit, and it started smoking. Am I right in assuming that there's a short somewhere? I bench tested with the original PSU, to make sure the short wasn't between the motherboard and case. Any ideas?
jcvamp Motherboards, Bios & CPU 8 04-03-2012 03:24 PM
lcd tv with no picture
hello. i have a LCD monitor, it turns on and it has image for about 3 or 4 seconds then the backlights turn off, but the monitor stiill turned on. somethimes works fine, but the most times dont. all the capacitors are ok, they where changed recently and i cant see any phisical damage. what could be...
fda Other Hardware Support 2 04-03-2012 01:33 PM
TP-LINK router = Very weak signal(+unstability)
Greetings Gentlemen! First of all, I apologize for my bad English. Ok, I've been struggling with this for a while now. I recently purchased a router from my local network store(or whatever it's called) and I picked up a TP-LINK TD-W8961ND router. The actual problem is very very weak...
JaXKe Networking Support 7 04-02-2012 11:15 AM