Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

No Drive Letters Show in Disk Management

This is a discussion on No Drive Letters Show in Disk Management within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My primary HDD has 3 partitions OS & Apps C:\ Data D:\ Junk E:\ I have a secondary HDD for

Old 03-12-2009, 02:54 PM   #1
Registered Member

My primary HDD has 3 partitions
OS & Apps C:\
Data D:\
Junk E:\

I have a secondary HDD for backups only
Backup H:\

In My Computer, all these drives showup with the correct drive letter designation and everything appears to work correctly .
I can read and write from all drives with no problems.

I use Norton Ghost 12 to backup my C and D drives on a scheduled basis, but it gets confused with the recovery points. Norton Support says it's because my HDDs don't have any letter designation. Norton sees my drives as:
OS & Apps (*:\)
Data (*:\)

I look in Disk Management and it also does not show the drive letters of either of my HDDs or their partitions. If I try to assign a drive letter, it shows the next available letter is "J".
How do you get these drive letters to show up?

My other drives (CD, DVD, USB) all show the drive letters.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:25 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Drive make and models, OS , and filesystem please...

Old 03-14-2009, 11:32 AM   #3
Registered Member

Primary drive is IDE 250MB Western digital WD2500JB
Secondary drive is IDE320MB Western digital WD3200AAJB

Filingsystem - NTFS
Old 03-14-2009, 11:33 AM   #4
Registered Member

OS is XP home SP3
Old 03-15-2009, 05:57 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

How about a screen cap from Disk Management, not making any sense that the letters don't show there - arwe the drive NTFS formatted?
Old 03-18-2009, 02:25 PM   #6
Registered Member

Drives are NTFS formatted
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen print.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	45680  
Old 04-08-2009, 03:36 PM   #7
Registered Member

Try rescan for drive information

Start/run/cmd <enter>
diskpart <enter>
rescan <enter>
When finished type "exit" to quit diskpart and "exit" again to quit command prompt window.
Recheck Disk management for missing partitions.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:58 PM   #8
Registered Member

hey Microbob, i tried that its not going through, still i cannot see the drives in the Disk Management tool, only thing i can see i cd-rom, but i can access all the drives in the computer no issues with the drives....alll in good state...let me know if any other option other than clean installation..
Old 08-10-2009, 10:42 AM   #9
Registered Member

If the problem is still valid here is a solution for you:
Start Windows - press Start - run - type regedit and press ok/enter.
Then find the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
There you will need to select Edit - New - Multi-String Value.
Rename it to UpperFilters. Then right click on this value and select Modify. Type PartMgr.
Quit and then restart Windows.
Since then the drive letters will be in WDM. The cause of the problem is in rootkit viruses to my mind.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:48 PM   #10
Registered Member

Razz

hey noxcho.. thanx for thigs.. its working now.. also i did a scan and found viruses.. any ways so great of yaa.. aprreciate ya help ..:) tk cr
Old 08-12-2009, 04:37 AM   #11
Registered Member

Glad to hear that I could help you. Let´s hope that this solution will help to others.
Take care too
Old 01-12-2010, 10:14 AM   #12
Registered Member

Hi All,

I showing the same symptoms as "abhijeetfalcons" and will add the RegKey as per "noxcho". In addition to the same symptoms, I'm getting what may be extra affects. Applications hang on start up and others won't start. I can't use system restore and anti-viruses won't start. I'm working on a solution in Safe Mode.

Lord only knows how I did it, but I infected myself with "Desk Top Defender" a week or so ago. Used MalwareBytes to remove it. My license for Kaspersky has lapsed and will renew and then scan.

"abhijeetfalcons" can you tell me any more about the infections you found? Hoping that Kaspersky will catch whatever.

Below is my "diskpart" results for anyone interested.
======================================
C:\Documents and Settings\Terry>diskpart

DISKPART> rescan

Please wait while DiskPart scans your configuration...
DiskPart has finished scanning your configuration.

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
-------- ---------- ------- ------- --- ---

DISKPART> list volume

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------
Volume 0 D DVD-ROM 0 B
Volume 1 H DVD-ROM 0 B
Volume 2 I DVD-ROM 0 B

DISKPART> exit

Leaving DiskPart...
Old 01-12-2010, 12:50 PM   #13
Registered Member

Didn't have any luck with this option. When I went to insert the "UpperFilters" parm, I found that it was already there and had the values:

tdrpman228
PartMgr
snapman
tdrpman228

I removed all but the "PartMgr" and restarted. When the system came back up, I still didn't show any drives. Then I deleted the parm, rebooted (no drives), added the parm, rebooted and still did have drives in the WDM. I'm running a online scan vua Trend Micro's House Call. If it doesn't find anything, I think I need to start a new thread with a more complete history of the problem and attempted solutions.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:04 AM   #14
Registered Member

Hello TerryFuller,

try to perform the scan with Avira. That free version shared via cnet did help me many times. And it worked where Kaspersky and McAfee failed.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:10 PM   #15
Registered Member

HI noxcho,

I hate to say this, this is a real bugger. I'm not able to run AV SW off my original system. It shows an hour glass, the quits and no application starts. I can't run system restore. Once I've chosen the restore, when I click on the "Next" botton, nothing happens; the wizzard won't move to the next section. When I try to run CHKDSK from XP the system tells me that the "disk operation can't be completed" (not sure about the exact wording of the message).

This morning I installed another drive on my box and installed a fresh copy of XP, installed Avira and scanned my original system drive. turn up some positives, but I think they were false positives. Quarinteened then anyway and rebooted to the original system (but opps... forgot to kill my network connection. so, I may have reinfected my self?) WDM still couldn't see any dirve and I still can't launch Kaspersky or Avira off that drive.

One of the strange thing that's happening is that IE keeps attempting to launch. I never use it, use Firefox. Anyway, it trys to launch, throughs an exception and dies. This time it launched, connected and started playing music. LOL My guess is that kind of activity is assocated with the darn "Desktop Defender" I caught.

Downloaded a trial of Kaspersky 2010 and will run it on the old system and disconnect from the net before rebooting. See what that does.

This sure seems like a virus, but nothing shows up. But how and where is it hiding, BTW ran Avira's "Rootkit" profile and didn't find anything.

-------
History
-------

The problem showed up the other morning on boot. The system hang attempting to launch XP. I had to pull the plug in it to restart. The second time it came up. One to the first things the OS did was issue an error: "Hard disk not found" - "System administrator right needed to access..." (can't remember all of it). That's when I tried to run CHKDSK and couldn't do it from XP. Also, went to the WDm and found that no drives were listed. Disk showed up in Explorer and I found access rights when I'd check files. It was just that some applications wouldn't launch and nothing in WDM. Also, found some errors in the log from 'DCom Event ID 10005 - The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled ... attempting to start the service winmgmt with arguments ""...'

Went into the "Recovery Console" and ran "CHKDSK C: /R", but that didn't solve anything
Old 01-13-2010, 08:27 PM   #16
Registered Member

Uninstalled Avira on the secondary/debug OS, installed Kaspersky 2010 and rescanned. It did find a "rootkit" virus and that was the problem. The original XP system is back up and I seem to have lost my network settings. Will put them back in the AM.

Thanks noxcho for your help.

Hope this is of some help to those who may come after me.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:36 PM   #17
enb
Registered Member

Oh my goodness! Thank you, noxcho!!
I had the same problem with WDM not showing drive letters. Could not figure it out. The system seemed to be running perfectly otherwise. I ran a root scan (with Avast) and found a virus. I wiped that out but found drive letters still did not show in WDM. I performed the regedit exactly as you described, rebooted and everything is working great!!

Thank you so much!!!
Old 01-20-2010, 11:52 PM   #18
Registered Member

Most welcome enb. Glad to hear it worked for you.
Once I almost became bold trying to find out what could be the cause of this problem. And Windows reinstallation was no way. Finally deep researches helped.
BTW, MS does not give help on this problem!!!
Take care.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:38 PM   #19
Registered Member

Noxcho, When I read your solution to this problem, I had little hope that it would work--that reg key seemed too obscure to be correct. What a pleasant surprise when it did work! Norton Ghost 14 had never displayed drive letters correctly, and it now does. Semantec had no answer. I'm curious about how you got this solution. Again, thank you very much.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:37 AM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watson9 View Post
Noxcho, When I read your solution to this problem, I had little hope that it would work--that reg key seemed too obscure to be correct. What a pleasant surprise when it did work! Norton Ghost 14 had never displayed drive letters correctly, and it now does. Semantec had no answer. I'm curious about how you got this solution. Again, thank you very much.
Thanks Watson9, the fact it did help to someone fills me up with positive energy =)))
Frankly speaking I had similar problem myself exactly. I reinstalled SO, then one of my friends had it. Still was no solution. And again the problem came to me after Norton 360 install and deinstall. I was curious why could this happen. Researched the way Windows assigns the drive letters and discovered that PartMgr is responsible for this. Started looking for it and did not find that value in my OS registry. Strange, isn't it? Looked on another system that did not have this problem and found there PartMgr. All was clear then.
I remembered how I did search google for this problem and got many descriptions but not solution. Immediately searched again and posted the solution on every discussion board where I did find problem descriptions.
I hope tech supportforum will keep this thread open as long as possible so other could get help also.

Regards
Noxcho