Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

No bootable device found!

This is a discussion on No bootable device found! within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello administrators, Just now I encountered a serious problem with my laptop. I had it on for about 30 minutes

Old 12-22-2011, 05:28 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello administrators,

Just now I encountered a serious problem with my laptop. I had it on for about 30 minutes and suddenly when I came back it was dead. The problem encountered was:

No bootable device -- Insert boot disk and press any key

The model of my laptop (still under warranty) and the boot order found in BIOS:

Acer Aspire 4937G running on windows 7
Intel (R) Core 2 Duo CPU, P8700 @ 2.5GHz
320GB HDD
4GB Ram

1: IDE 0:
2: IDE 1: TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633A
3: USB FDD:
4: Network Boot: Atheros Boot Agent
5: USB HDD:
6: USB CDROM:

When I turn it on, I listened closely and heard that there are some weird noises coming from the laptop or hard disk, sounds like something clicking. Could it be that the wiring is loose or spoilt?

I have certain important stuffs in it, is it possible for me to retrieve them through any means?

This is the first time occurring to me, and I hope there is a solution to it. Do advice me of any additional information that you may required. Thank you in advance!

Best regards,
Sean

Old 12-22-2011, 06:50 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanfoo2005 View Post

Sounds like something clicking. Could it be that the wiring is loose or spoilt?
Hi Sean. Bad news I'm afraid. Clicking normally indicates a faulty drive.

Try running Drive Fitness Test and see the results.

Clicking ' Drive Fitness' in my signature will start a direct download.

Best, Crit.

Looking for support with something else?
Microsoft ¦ Security ¦ Hardware ¦ Networking

Got an SSD?
Disable Defrag, SuperFetch and Prefetch!

*I do not always subscribe to threads*
If you're awaiting a reply after 24 hours, please PM me
CriticalPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:33 AM   #3
Registered Member

So it means I would not be able get any data out from it?

I have no access to the windows. How do I run the test? I'm stuck at the 'No bootable device' page.

How do I go about reformatting it? Will my D drive be totally reformatted as well?
Old 12-22-2011, 06:45 PM   #4
Hardware Tech Team

My System

Re-seat the drive in to make sure seated properly.

If not detected in the BIOS most likely a failed drive.

You can try installing the drive in a external enclosure/adapter to try and recovery the files.
Old 12-25-2011, 02:11 AM   #5
Registered Member

Hi guys is there any other methods I could retrieve my important data from the hard disk? My friend told me about Ubuntu recovery.

I really hope I could retrieve the data.

Thank you very much in advance!
Old 12-25-2011, 05:28 AM   #6
Moderator hardware team

You need anotherd desktop computer that has windows loaded to connect the drive to and diagnose it. The clicking tells me the drive is not coming ready and seeking to read the sa track this means you cant read it without repairs to the drive first. That is pro level not diy could be bad heads or a firmware failure either way you most likely dont have the tools and know how to solve it.

Please mark the thread solved when your question has been answered to your satisfaction

Tools: Memtest IMGBurn SeaTools DOS WD Lifeguard R-Studio GetBackData Easeus Free Clone Software DRDD Partition Find and Mount
Networks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:44 AM   #7
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Networks is right, the best shot you have is to attach the drive to a desktop with sata cable and power cable and see if you can read it there. It takes much less to read a drive than boot to it so if this just happened there is a good chance you will be able to do so. The step after that involves very expensive services you can send to who will rebuild the drive to read it.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Rich-M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:08 AM   #8
Registered Member

So it other words, I can say that my data is gone forever?

I'm sure it cost alot to get back data from my hard disk? Am I right?

I have contacted the Acer team and hopefully I am covered under the warranty for the spoilt HDD I am having.

I really hope I could get the data back :(
Old 12-26-2011, 05:15 AM   #9
Moderator hardware team

Most likely pro recovery can get the data back just need to send it to one for diagnosis. Did the laptop get dropped ? Do you have a backup ?

Please mark the thread solved when your question has been answered to your satisfaction

Tools: Memtest IMGBurn SeaTools DOS WD Lifeguard R-Studio GetBackData Easeus Free Clone Software DRDD Partition Find and Mount
Old 12-26-2011, 05:52 AM   #10
Registered Member

It would likely be expensive right? Is acer able to help me out?

I have never dropped it before. It is always on a cooler on the table. I do not have any back up sadly.

Out of a sudden this happens. I just hope there is some method to recover those important files. Hopefully it's just a loose wire :x
Old 12-26-2011, 06:16 AM   #11
Moderator hardware team

Seanfoo2005 - many questions have been asked of you and you haven't responded to some important ones you just keep asking more questions ! We try to help but its a two way path. Is Data Recovery expensive ? yes which is why we preach backup backup backup etc. I have already told you how to go about recovering the data but again many unanswered questions from your side doesn't help us help you. Again does the drive show up in the bios ? of the laptop you can still get to the bios even if the drive won't boot. Do you have access to a desktop system to diagnose the drive or use R-Studio to see if it can read the drive however "clicking noises are not a good sign you will be able to access the drive" You can't do anything with the drive in the laptop it needs to come out and be installed on a normal desktop with a sata and power connector at a minimum.
No Acer wont help you recover the data only replace the drive that is all the warranty allows.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:51 AM   #12
Registered Member

Hi thanks for the reply!

I have tried to access the BIOS and the drive is not in the start up, as stated in my first post.

Yes I do have a desktop, however how do I actually go about doing it? I understand that if I handle the hdd myself the warranty will get voided. That is my only worry.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:54 AM   #13
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Everything Networks has said and more. You aren't going to get much help here by not answering the questions we are all asking. I suggest you run back through the posts and answer the questions. And yes the recovery from a service would definitely be more than $1000 so better off to try what we have suggested in quite a few posts before giving in to that and once you send it to Acer or have them out and they replace it, everything on the drive is gone.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:01 AM   #14
Registered Member

I understand that you guys have given many solutions to me. But I'm a newbie in computering so I do have many queries. Please pardon me.

Yes I do have a separate desktop. So I have to unscrew the hdd from my laptop and use a sata n power cable to try attach it to my desktop?
Old 12-26-2011, 07:27 AM   #15
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Quote:
I understand that you guys have given many solutions to me. But I'm a newbie in computering so I do have many queries. Please pardon me.

Yes I do have a separate desktop. So I have to unscrew the hdd from my laptop and use a sata n power cable to try attach it to my desktop?
Now you got it!

Old 12-26-2011, 07:47 AM   #16
Registered Member

Yea! Thanks.

But first of all I need a external adaptor/enclosure right? Cos I know laptop's hdd n those external ones that I have are totally different!
Old 12-26-2011, 07:51 AM   #17
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Quote:
Yea! Thanks.

But first of all I need a external adaptor/enclosure right? Cos I know laptop's hdd n those external ones that I have are totally different!
No you were right in your answer you need another sata cable and a free electrical plug from power supply (you can remove ones from dvd drive if you don't have a free one now), and simply plug laptop drive into the 2 plugs. To see the connections there is probably an adapter around the hard drive that needs removing with 2 screws on each side of drive.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:22 AM   #18
Registered Member

Hello guys, I have gotten myself a external hdd enclosure and have attached it to my desktop.

However, the driver failed to install to my desktop and the hdd makes alot of noises.

What is my next step from here?

Thank you in advance! Waiting for your replies! :)
Old 01-09-2012, 06:35 AM   #19
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Now you have 2 problems, why not try it may way.
BTW if you have an enclosure with no power supply, often times they need to usb plugs to power up and there are such cables that come with most drives these days.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:19 AM   #20
Registered Member

I do have the USB cable. It comes with the external hdd enclosure. I tried using it and plug to my desktop but it's still not working.

So how do I go about solving my issue as above. Is there a next step?

Thank you!