Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

New Hard Drive Won't Work

This is a discussion on New Hard Drive Won't Work within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I had a hard drive failure on my HP desktop. I purchased a new Seagate drive and installed it. When

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 07:21 PM   #1
Registered Member

I had a hard drive failure on my HP desktop. I purchased a new Seagate drive and installed it. When I started the computer up, I used the official HP recovery disks that they sent me.

The computer recognized the disks and I got the set up screen, and when I clicked start the screen gets stuck at 0% forever. I let it run for four hours and it was still stuck at zero.

HP wants to troubleshoot the issue for $49.95 since it is out of warranty. The tech guy at HP said something about having to clean out the registry of the new hard drive before it would work.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Here's another strange fact. I wanted to see if the hard drive would work so I found an old Windows XP Home disk and installed it on the new drive, and the bloody thing worked!!!

Of course, I can't validate the XP operating system because it is installed on another PC in my house.

I am not very computer savvy, so feel free to talk down to me if you can help.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:41 PM   #2
Registered Member

My System

I would think if you use the xp disk to partition and format the hard drive but don't install the copy of xp. Then try the hp recovery disks again it might work. Just a thought.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:09 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Hmmm most interesting, were you installing to a bare drive or was windows already on the drive? I f it was a bare drive there was no registry on it. Sounds like menace's idea may be worth a shot.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:41 AM   #4
Registered Member

I was posting to a bare drive. I will try this suggestion and post back.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:56 AM   #5
Registered Member

What if this doesn't work? Any other suggestions?
Old 06-04-2009, 07:06 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Verify the drive is detected correctloy in BIOS and that whatever port you have the drive assigned to is set in the BIOS as the first boot device. If the recovery disk doesn't work, your COA sticker should have a valid license you can use to install from other media, just when it asks for your OEM number, put in the one from the sticker of the machine you are installing to.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:45 AM   #7
Registered Member

Still no resolution on this. I broke down and bought official recovery disks from HP for $19, and they didn't work. They are sending a third copy of the recovery disks with different info on it.