Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

Need to make SATA HDD as 'slave'

This is a discussion on Need to make SATA HDD as 'slave' within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Now I know I'm going to get a deluge of "SATA doesn't have Master/Slave configuration" so let me explain what

Old 03-24-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
Registered Member

Now I know I'm going to get a deluge of "SATA doesn't have Master/Slave configuration" so let me explain what I'm trying to do here.

My PC (running Win XP) had a Seagate sata hard drive which failed, but not a total failure.

The Seagate diagnostics informed that there were 4 bad sectors on the disk. It would appear at least one was affecting Windows boot-up.

It would/will start booting WinXP, got past the WinXP splash screen, then halted to a blank screen before giving a BSOD.

I have installed a new Seagate sata hard drive with WinXP, and that works fine on its own. But now I want to recover data from the first, non-booting, one by running it "in tandem" and copy data over.

The trouble now is that sata drives are always 'Master' not slave. So if I couple both drives up, the PC recognises 2 WinXP OS installations and hangs, does not complete the boot-up.

I have tried using an adaptor to couple it to the IDE socket, but it still sees the drive as 'master'.

Even using safe mode, it tries to boot but then stalls.

How do I get the sata drive to run as "slave", to cancel out its existing damaged OS and boot on the new disk so I can recover my data?

Old 03-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #2
Administrator
Micosoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Plug the new drive into the SATA0 port and the old one in the SATA1 or higher ports. In BIOS, set the boot priority with SATA0 first

Old Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:20 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks, but I had already done that from the start.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:10 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Quote:
Seagate sata hard drive which failed
That's all you need to do. As long as SATA port 1 is enabled, it should work. Boot into Setup (Bios) Remove SATA port 1 out of the Boot Sequence so only SATA port 0 is booting from the HDD.
You can also attach the HDD via a USB Adapter.
spunk.funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:17 AM   #5
Registered Member

FWIW, the boot sequence is only set to SATA 0 (the new drive) and it still persists in stalling the Windows boot. I was hoping someone could explain that.

I guess its why we all love to hate windoze.

I was going to try the USB route next, but the trouble is my existing USB adaptor only has IDE (female) to USB conversion. I need to get a SATA to USB lead.

I had hoped to be able to do it internally with some sort of Master/Slave configuration in the way we always did with IDE, but sadly that is no longer the option.

Hmmm, . . progress huh?
Old 03-25-2012, 09:35 AM   #6
Moderator hardware team

Goto store ie BestBuy and buy a sata dock very handy to use for backup drives as well aaprox cost 50.00

Please mark the thread solved when your question has been answered to your satisfaction

Tools: Memtest IMGBurn SeaTools DOS WD Lifeguard R-Studio GetBackData Easeus Free Clone Software DRDD Partition Find and Mount
Networks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:57 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
Seagate sata hard drive which failed
Quote:
I guess its why we all love to hate windoze
Or get a USB Adapter. I think the computer hanging is because the drive has failed and is not working correctly.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:28 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
I think the computer hanging is because the drive has failed and is not working correctly.
But since that is not a drive in the boot sequence why is it causing the hanging when the new drive, Sata port 0, is trying to boot?
Old 03-27-2012, 02:04 PM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

If the drive has failed, it will throw off all the other drives in the computer.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:04 PM   #10
Moderator hardware team

Because the motherboard/controller is attempting to talk to the hard drive and the hard drive is not responding well thus it "hangs" the SATA bus its quite common symptom in failing drives.

Please mark the thread solved when your question has been answered to your satisfaction

Tools: Memtest IMGBurn SeaTools DOS WD Lifeguard R-Studio GetBackData Easeus Free Clone Software DRDD Partition Find and Mount
Networks is offline   Reply With Quote