Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

Mybook 500 GB I/o issue. Please help.

This is a discussion on Mybook 500 GB I/o issue. Please help. within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I have a HD Mybook 500HB external HD that was working fine for the past 6 months and recently

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 09:52 AM   #1
Registered Member

Cry

Hi,

I have a HD Mybook 500HB external HD that was working fine for the past 6 months and recently I started seeing an error "The request could not be performed because of an i/o device error " when I tried to open my "pictures" folder on this disk. The folder contains around 10 GB of pictured and was sitting in several folders.
I was able to access all other folders on this disk except this "pictures" folder. I was able to recover all of my pictures by using some digital images recovery software but lost the folder structure that I have orgranized by using date and location. (I got my pictures numbered from 1 to 16380)
I am using XP prof and the disk contains around 115 GB data.
I am looking forward to retrive all of my pictures with out loosing my directory tree. Please help and any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:13 PM   #2
Not...

Welcome to TSF.

Try another USB cable (though I doubt that will help).

Perhaps you have too many subfolder levels in the "pictures" directory - Windows doesn't like that.

Also - run chkdsk. Right click the drive in "My computer" >> Properties >> Tools.

Old 07-22-2008, 01:40 PM   #3
Registered Member

I have a WD 500 GB My Book as well and having the same problem. "I/O Device Error". I'm on Windows XP Home, SP2.

It all started happening when I was transferring files form the CF Card with a card reader, across my home network to the 500 GB HD connected to the other computer in the office. I cancelled the tranfer cause it was going really slow.

Since then the My Book gives me the I/O error every time I try to open or delete those files that were interrupted in transfer. When it get's recoginzed on a system it's attached to (tried it on 2 compters), it performs really slowly. Wont' let me copy, delete or move the corrupted files or folder that contains them.

Also crashed my PhotoShop CS3 somehow on the system system that initiated the original photo transfer.

Anyone else have sugguestions?
Old 07-23-2008, 04:20 AM   #4

My System

Send a message via ICQ to wiseleo Send a message via AIM to wiseleo Send a message via MSN to wiseleo Send a message via Yahoo to wiseleo Send a message via Skype™ to wiseleo

Yep. The disk is almost dead. Image it and hope for the best. I wrote instructions here: http://www.techsupportforum.com/f16/...ml#post1604447

Hard disks are a transient medium of storage. You should replace them at the first sign of failure.

Not sure as to the cause of CS3 crash. Potentially it perhaps used the Mybook as a scratch drive? Just a thought.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:13 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eneles View Post
Welcome to TSF.

Try another USB cable (though I doubt that will help).

Perhaps you have too many subfolder levels in the "pictures" directory - Windows doesn't like that.

Also - run chkdsk. Right click the drive in "My computer" >> Properties >> Tools.
Thanks Eneles.
I tried this with a new USB cable and did not work. I also tried Spinrite whcih fails with some "critical data flow" error (394A). CHKDSK stopped after 24%. I also opened this external drive and used it as an internal drive and have the same problems. Is there a way that I can get my photo folders? I also have some important PDF files that I don't want to loose. I was able to see all the folders in the disk but seeing "cyclic redundancy" erros when I tried to move these files to a new dirve. (I bought another 750GB Seagate internal drive). Plese help.

best regards,
Old 07-29-2008, 08:55 AM   #6
Not...

See if you can move/copy the files with a recovery program.
GetDataBack
Recuva
Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier

If that doesn't work - create an image of the WD drive on the Seagate with DriveImage XML.
How to: http://www.techsupportforum.com/cont...ticles/46.html
Old 07-29-2008, 09:58 AM   #7
Registered Member

Thanks Eneless.

I will try them and come back if I encounter any issues.

regards,
Old 07-29-2008, 02:49 PM   #8

My System

Send a message via ICQ to wiseleo Send a message via AIM to wiseleo Send a message via MSN to wiseleo Send a message via Yahoo to wiseleo Send a message via Skype™ to wiseleo

Driveimagexml doesn't like bad sectors. My method works with them. I'd suggest trying it. Then, an advanced scan in something like Active@ Undelete will usually find those pictures.

I dealt with this situation lots of times.

You, however, let CHKDSK run. That probably did some irreparable damage. Sorry. You can check by looking inside the found.001 folder

Use my technique and maybe you'll get lucky.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:50 PM   #9
Registered Member

Thanks much for the help.
I tried several times with 'chkdsk' thinking that it will fix the bad sectors and I did not knew that it will damage the disk. I still have the warranty on this drive buy don't want to handover it to the WD folks with my personal data in it. I will keep trying until I die.
regards.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:51 AM   #10
Not...

If DriveImage XML fails - try Roadkil's Raw Copy.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:54 AM   #11
Registered Member

Hi Eneles,

I did not try the Drive image" but tried "Roadkil's Raw Copy". This was waiting for long time even the file is so small in size and I am forced to skip that file. Very few files have been copied 100% with out errors even after several hours. Now I am trying with "get data back FAT32" right now and seeing thousands of "error 23 in HD129 doing read lba" errors. Only 20% is done in the past 20 hours. Shall I continue this?

regards,
Old 07-30-2008, 12:42 PM   #12

My System

The drive is in critical state.

Use my method. Windows tools will simply no longer work. You are causing damage by your continual attempts to work with the drive as if it were alive.

It will also be much faster.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:04 PM   #13
Registered Member

Thanks again. I will try this and post the status soon.Thanks for the help.
By the way, can this drive can be put in use at all (after format or what ever it is..)?

regards,
Old 07-31-2008, 01:56 PM   #14
Registered Member

hi Wiseleo,

I have a P4 system 2.8 Ghz with 2GB memory and it has only one 40GB drive. I bought another 750 GB (Seagate) internal drive recently and attched to this system and created three partitions (250+250+250). I ahve around 20GB data on this drive but can format if required. Is there any way that I can use your method with the existing setup? I don 't tink that I can afford another external drive for now. Please help.

regards.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:43 PM   #15

My System

If all of your 250GB partitions are FAT32, just format one of your 250GB partitions as NTFS to store the image. In fact, you should always use NTFS as it is a far more resilient file system.

You need a backup drive, for which the 750GB Seagate can function fine, and a new system drive. Otherwise, you will be back to this situation very quickly. The new Seagate drives are a major pain to fix for data recovery companies, by the way because Seagate is using all sorts of new tricks that makes our jobs that much more difficult.

Spend another $60 or so, and get yourself a new 160GB drive to replace the 40GB internal one. Then proceed with my instructions. I don't know what you'll achieve, but you may get lucky yet.

From my perspective, internal/external makes no difference. Internal drives are actually preferred, but most people will be too confused.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:23 PM   #16
Registered Member

Ok. I will try buying another disk and follow your instructions. Thanks for the help.

regards.