Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

my passport wd10tmvw-11zsms1 problem

This is a discussion on my passport wd10tmvw-11zsms1 problem within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi i have a WD Passport 1TB external hard drive that was dropped, when plugged in it is being seen

Old 07-16-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi i have a WD Passport 1TB external hard drive that was dropped, when plugged in it is being seen in device manager and it says its working properly. It shows up in my computer as a local drive and in the properties it shows 0 bytes, before the drop it showed up as my passport. The light on the drive blinks constantly. The drive has a ton of family pictures that i would like to get. Is this drive junk or can I retrieve my files.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Quote:
i have a WD Passport 1TB external hard drive that was dropped
You probably damaged the USB controller inside the enclosure. You can remove the HDD from the enclosure and either attach it Internally to a desktop computer, using a USB adapter or put it in another USB Enclosure with a power adapter.
You can try and recover your files using GetDataBack NTFS. You will need another drive of the same size or larger to restore your files to.

spunk.funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:24 PM   #3
Registered Member

opened my drive and found the usb connector is soldered on the drive it does not have a small circuit board that you unplug is there somthing else i could try.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

This is a new fangled drive that WD has introduced lately with different connectors.
The Drop has probably damaged the drive anyways. You might want to contact WD support and see if they can provide an adapter or something. Contact Us
spunk.funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:41 PM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks for the help
Old 07-27-2012, 07:04 AM   #6
Registered Member

Hi

Did you drop it while it was connected to the computer and powered on?

We can run some tests that are gentle and might help you determine what to do next.

James
Old 07-27-2012, 07:36 PM   #7
Registered Member

WD won't help. Not a chance, they don't care and don't do anything like this. Besides, there is no adapter to use. If you dropped it and it stopped working, even though USB connection looks fine - there is mechanical damage. If you don't care about data - RMA it or sell on eBay (will get a good buck for that, still)