Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

My hard drive is running very hot

This is a discussion on My hard drive is running very hot within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a Sony laptop VGN-S170P that's a couple years old. I recently upgraded the HD to a Samsung HM120JC

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 03:11 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a Sony laptop VGN-S170P that's a couple years old. I recently upgraded the HD to a Samsung HM120JC (5400 rpm). First couple of weeks was no problem. Then I noticed that the fan is always running on high gear and now I hear a few clicks (sounds like a slow shutter on a camera) and a beep here and there. I installed HDD Health to check things out and it shows the temp as 55-57 degrees. How can I cool this thing down before it dies?

Yes, I'm backing it up almost daily now.

Old 09-19-2007, 05:36 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via ICQ to V0lt

Hi putty,

I can't think of anything specifically that would help for the ventilation, but as far as hard drive health goes, does the program you downloaded show the S.M.A.R.T. info?

If not, I would recommend SpeedFan, a free and very excellent program to monitor both temperatures and hard drive health info. You can find it at http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

You should be able to make a logfile of the smart info, and the program should have a list of acceptable tolerances for the heat and readings.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:21 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
Hi putty,

I can't think of anything specifically that would help for the ventilation, but as far as hard drive health goes, does the program you downloaded show the S.M.A.R.T. info?

If not, I would recommend SpeedFan, a free and very excellent program to monitor both temperatures and hard drive health info. You can find it at http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

You should be able to make a logfile of the smart info, and the program should have a list of acceptable tolerances for the heat and readings.
Thanks Fox. Yes, HDD Health shows the SMART info and I get notification after notification that the HD is too hot and it does let me make a log file... I'm just not sure what to do with the info.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:54 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via ICQ to V0lt

Hmmm... very strange that it would happen with this hard drive and not the old one, unless the old one was one of the slower 4k drives.

Does this happen even when idle and on a flat surface?
Old 09-19-2007, 08:55 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Make sure there is not dust on it and what is the temp inside of your case?
Old 09-19-2007, 09:07 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
Hmmm... very strange that it would happen with this hard drive and not the old one, unless the old one was one of the slower 4k drives.

Does this happen even when idle and on a flat surface?
Yes, the old drive was a 4200 rpm one. Could the "modest" jump to 5400 be the culprit? Does this mean I should turn this into an external drive and get a new 4200 to replace it? I imagine that I can't just keep going so hot and expect it not to break at the worst moment.

I got owned: There's no visible dust but I could open it up and double check. I'm not sure of the internal temp (how do I check?) but there's no question that it's hot to touch. Too hot.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:45 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Yeh once something is about 47c its hard to touch so thats preaty bad what case fans do you have and what dirrection are they blowing do not include cpu or psu fans
Old 09-19-2007, 10:30 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 g0t 0wn3d View Post
Yeh once something is about 47c its hard to touch so thats preaty bad what case fans do you have and what dirrection are they blowing do not include cpu or psu fans
I have no idea... is there a way to tell aside from opening it up and looking. It's whatever came pre-installed. A web search suggests this one but I don't know for sure:

http://store.thermalfx.com/merchant2...ode=LaptopFans