Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

My External Hard Drive unplugged while writing, and now XP won't recognize it

This is a discussion on My External Hard Drive unplugged while writing, and now XP won't recognize it within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey, folks. I found this board while desperately searching for a fix for my Ext. HD. My sister unplugged it

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 10:04 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hey, folks.

I found this board while desperately searching for a fix for my Ext. HD.

My sister unplugged it today while it was writing, and now it won't recognize properly. It used to designate itself properly as the F:\ as soon as it hooked up. Since the unplug, it calls itself a USB Mass Storage Device in Device Manager, can't be recognized in Disk Management (so I can't designate a letter drive [f:\ etc.]), doesn't show up in My Computer, and doesn't need a driver as it says its driver is up-to-date (I have reinstalled the driver anyway, to no avail).

I've tried it with my laptop (which the HD was pulled out of) and my PC; the above results happen with both. I've tried to uninstall the Mass Storage Device in Device Manager, but when I reboot the drive, it reinstalls itself as Mass Storage Device, not as it did as F:\.

When I first purchased it, it ran just perfect out of the box, no additional drivers needed. It did have start-up files on it, but obviously I can't get to those. I've got a few other Ext. HDs and they still boot up and run perfectly. The USB ports aren't the problem, either. I've run iPods, other HDs, and a mouse through all the ports.

The drive is a Comstar 1TB External HD. I'm running Windows XP on both computers. I've got over 200GBs on it, and as I run most of my applications off it, I'm really high n' dry.

Any help would be so appreciated. I'm desperate. If someone is so kind as to help and needs more info, please let me know.

TJ

Old 03-06-2009, 10:44 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

First thing to do is get the drive out of the housing and mountit internally in your PC - see if BIOS finds it there, windows still may not, but if Bios sees it then you will have a chance for recovery.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:50 PM   #3
Registered Member

Ok, you probably going to want to beat the crap out of your sister, because you will not like this : To fix your external hard drive you will need to format it. Download a Gparted live cd (check google) and burn it to a normal cd. plug in your drive and Boot from the disc. follow the instructions till you get to the "desktop". open gparted if it doesnt start automatically. Find an amount of data that looks like your external drive. fight click and format to ntfs. click apply. wait. exit and remove the disc when prompted. Open up disc managment in windows and initialize and assign a drive letter. Done.