Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

My external hard drive suddenly needs to be formatted?

This is a discussion on My external hard drive suddenly needs to be formatted? within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a WD 500G hard drive and it's been working well for me for the last six months. When

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 08:56 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a WD 500G hard drive and it's been working well for me for the last six months. When I tried to use it today , it said that it needed to be formatted. I know that by formatting I will erase all of it contents and I simply can't do that. The weird thing is, is that 7 out of the 8 folders I have on it work just fine. But the most important folder won't open I keep getting a pop up that says it needs to be reformatted. I've tried it on 4 different computers all with the same results. Can anyone help? Thank you for your time

Old 09-07-2009, 09:44 PM   #2
Registered Member

It is quite possible that there is some virus around and it is not necessary that it is a hardware problem. If you do not have a good anti virus software than let the professional do the job. Even if it is a hardware problem, things can be sorted because as I see go for formatting the hard disk only if all other options fail.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:52 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

The file system has been damaged. Download the demo of r-studio and do a scan of the HD, if it finds the files you can register the program and copy your data out to another drive. then format the drive and put your data back.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:33 PM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks raptor_pa for putting forward some useful solution to the problem.