Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

My computer won't recognize anything I plug into USB ports/SD slots...

This is a discussion on My computer won't recognize anything I plug into USB ports/SD slots... within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:36 PM   #1
Registered Member

When I try to plug my iPod Touch or both of my USB Drives in ALL of my USB ports my computer won‘t detect them! My printer doesn’t print and my SD slot doesn’t work either. My wireless mouse (uses USB), Cds, and DVDs work though. When I go to My Computer I can't see any of the ports like I normally would (like (F:) or something like that). Help!

I have a XP HP Pavillion a1530n (a desktop), hardware has never been updated, so I assume these are the full and correct specs: HP Pavilion Media Center a1530n Desktop PC Product Specifications - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

Old 07-02-2011, 05:50 PM   #2
Registered Member

It is possible that you don't have enough power to connect the rest of the devices. Is the USB ports a 2.0???

Old 07-02-2011, 08:09 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardGebbia View Post
It is possible that you don't have enough power to connect the rest of the devices. Is the USB ports a 2.0???
I've had this computer for about 6 years. The USB just stopped working along w/ the SD slot. Yes, they are 2.0...
Old 07-03-2011, 12:42 AM   #4
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

i always recommend using a self powered usb hub

try a cmos reset

in the device manager click on view at the top and in the dropdown
show hidden devices
then uninstall all listed usb items
turn the computer off
unplug usb plugs
reboot twice
replug in the usb plugs
Old 07-03-2011, 01:34 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dai View Post
i always recommend using a self powered usb hub

try a cmos reset

in the device manager click on view at the top and in the dropdown
show hidden devices
then uninstall all listed usb items
turn the computer off
unplug usb plugs
reboot twice
replug in the usb plugs
What about my SD slot?
Old 07-03-2011, 05:29 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

I don't understand some of the answers on here. Maybe I read your post wrong, but this has nothing to do with a powered USB hub or non-powered USB hub.

You have a laptop I'm assuming? If so, if none of the USB items are not being detected, then my guess is either a driver issue or a motherboard issue.

Being that your USB mouse works, that is a little strange. So if you unplugged your mouse and plugged in, let's say an external hard drive/flash drive, does it get recognized?

If it doesn't, then trying updating your motherboard's driver. After that, it's time perhaps for a motherboard reflow.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:27 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeagle View Post
I don't understand some of the answers on here. Maybe I read your post wrong, but this has nothing to do with a powered USB hub or non-powered USB hub.

You have a laptop I'm assuming? If so, if none of the USB items are not being detected, then my guess is either a driver issue or a motherboard issue.

Being that your USB mouse works, that is a little strange. So if you unplugged your mouse and plugged in, let's say an external hard drive/flash drive, does it get recognized?

If it doesn't, then trying updating your motherboard's driver. After that, it's time perhaps for a motherboard reflow.
Thanks for the reply, I have a desktop. It is weird that my USB and SD slots don't work with external hard drives and a printer, yet it works with a wireless mouse. I unplug my mouse, try to put flash drives, an iPod, and printer in the SAME slot, and none are detected. It's very strange. Seeing that both the SD slots and USB slots aren't detecting anything other then my mouse, I'm guessing it's an internal issue. Maybe with the motherboard? It might be a good excuse to get a new computer after 6-7 years.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:21 AM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

OS: Win7 x64, Vista Ultimate x86, Server 2K3 Enterprise x86, Ubuntu Lucid Lynx x64, OSX Snow Leopard x86

My System

Send a message via AIM to magnethead

I'm gonna go with the lack of power. Mouse only uses data, thus it works.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:07 AM   #9
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

6 year old HP desktop with worlds most inadequate psu, I think you start with a new one adequate for the pc. It just feels like a power issue.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Rich-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:07 AM   #10
Registered Member

I agree the power supply sounds like it's on it's way out.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:08 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
I agree the power supply sounds like it's on it's way out.
What do you mean by that?

-------

So, how would I solve this power issue?
Old 07-04-2011, 02:31 PM   #12
Registered Member

Take the power supply out or look at the voltage if it's a 300w Then get a new one like a 500w to be able to push more power. Then find out if it's an atx connector or the older style. And just upgrade it.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:04 PM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

Watts not volts :)
Old 07-04-2011, 03:13 PM   #14
Registered Member

Yes sorry lol.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:07 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Take the power supply out or look at the voltage if it's a 300volt. Then get a new one like a 500 volt to be able to push more power. Then find out if it's an atx connector or the older style. And just upgrade it.
Why did this happen out of no where?
Old 07-05-2011, 12:12 PM   #16
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDS525 View Post
Why did this happen out of no where?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-M View Post
6 year old HP desktop with worlds most inadequate psu, I think you start with a new one adequate for the pc. It just feels like a power issue.
It's like a car. Put an engine from a MiniCooper into a Chevy Silverado Z71 pickup. Run it for 6 years, occasionally towing a boat. When the wheels stop turning, replacing the tires won't solve the problem.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:15 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaythorpe522 View Post
It's like a car. Put an engine from a MiniCooper into a Chevy Silverado Z71 pickup. Run it for 6 years, occasionally towing a boat. When the wheels stop turning, replacing the tires won't solve the problem.
So, I should just update the power supply?

(Take the power supply out or look at the voltage if it's a 300w Then get a new one like a 500w be able to push more power. Then find out if it's an atx connector or the older style. And just upgrade it.)
Old 07-05-2011, 01:11 PM   #18
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

I would and if it doesn't fix it well you are still on your way to a better pc...

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Rich-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:17 PM   #19
TSF Enthusiast

Yeah -- it's a good start. There's always a chance the lack of power took out something else with it -- if you like, you can inspect the MoBo for bulging capacitors, a burnt look or smell, etc. There's possibly an underlying reason that the peripherals aren't getting powered, but it's always good to start from the source.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:17 PM   #20
Registered Member

Thanks for all the input, I'll try all this out, might take it to a professional. I'll try to get back to you all.

It's not a power issue. My printer doesn't take power from the computer, only data, like the wireless mouse (that works), but the printer doesn't work. It's not a power issue.

AND

(minus the text bubble)

Pop up in the task bar when I plug in my iPod into all USB ports...

I have NO idea what to do for my SD card slot...