Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

My Computer does not display external hard drives after re-connecting them

This is a discussion on My Computer does not display external hard drives after re-connecting them within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello I am new here and after several unfruitful Google sessions and I have no choice but to ask for

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 05:06 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello I am new here and after several unfruitful Google sessions and I have no choice but to ask for help!

My problem:

I have several external hard drives of varying sizes (1TB, 120GB, 70GB) and the same problem occurs with all of them.

When I start up my laptop, the drives will appear in My Computer. I am able to Explore them, everything works perfectly. However, when any of them become disconnected, be it accidentally or through Safely Remove Hardware, they will not be displayed in My Computer upon reconnection. The sound will play confirming that the computer has recognised that a device has been connected, but I am not able to use the drive(s) because Windows Explorer does not show they are there.

I then went to Computer > Manage > Disk Management. None of the devices are listed. I also looked in Device Manager > Disk Drives and all the drives connected to the computer are listed.

I was not sure whether this was a "partition problem" (put in brackets because I don't know what partitions are!) because the devices DO work initially when I start up. It is only when I reconnect that the problem occurs.

It would not be too much hassle to reboot every time this happens, but one of the hard drives has a temperamental cable and gets accidentally disconnected quite frequently.

Additional notes:
- All drives work perfectly on other computers, both upon start-up and reconnection
- The makes of the drives are WD and Toshiba

If there is any other information that I should provide, please ask. Many thanks.

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
computer connecting to two networks (one unidentified)?
Recently I had a problem where my desktop computer running Windows Vista could not make a wireless connection to the internet. I have a cable modem connected by Ethernet cable to a wireless router, and all other computers and devices in the house (e.g. laptop & iPod) were able to connect to my...
lkadlec Networking Support 48 02-11-2011 12:41 AM
Computer doesn't boot into hard drive(s)
Hello, I currently have two hard drives and run a dual boot setup. On my main hard drive I have a partition for Windows XP and a partition for the rest of my crap. On my other hard drive I run Ubuntu. Normally I have been using Ubuntu and have had no virus issues whatsoever. Today, I seemed to...
Ithryndil Windows XP Support 3 01-23-2011 10:00 PM
Unable to "safely remove" external hard drives on either of my computers
For some reason about 75% of the time when I have an external hard drive plugged in to either my laptop or desktop computer (both running Windows XP Professional SP3) it won’t let me safely remove the drive when I’m done with it; the error message I get on both computers when trying to remove the...
genericvolume Windows XP Support 5 01-23-2011 11:17 AM
"USB device not recognised" for hard drives, computer or HD fault?
Hey, Im running windows 7 on a DELL inspiron 1720. I have been using an iomega 1TB hard drive for about 5-6 months now, which is 70% full now. For the past few weeks I have been getting an error on my computer at random times saying "USB device not recognised: one of the USB devices attatcheded to...
firstprime Laptop Support 31 01-15-2011 09:43 AM
Power Supply Information and Selection
:smile: CHOOSING AND UNDERSTANDING A POWER SUPPLY UNIT The power supply unit in today’s modern computer assumes a role probably more critical than any other single component in your system even when compared to the CPU and motherboard. Therefore, there are multiple factors that must...
Tumbleweed36 RAM and Power Supply Support 0 07-09-2006 03:41 PM