Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moving OS from HDD to SSD

2K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  Rich-M 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

bit of advice needed, basically i bought a samsung evo 850 ssd recently (120gb) so i could install my OS and a few select games on.

However the Pc i have had Win8 pre installed on the existing 2Tb hardrive, and i cannot do a fresh install as i have no key or disk. I have the samsung migrating software for cloning but it only gives you the option to transfer everything except media across, which obviously almost 2tb worth could not fit on 120gb ssd.

Just wondering if its possible to migrate the OS to an SSD without the need for a re install, and therefore i could put the SSD higher in the boot list.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated as im a bit new to this.

Thanks in advance

#13 ·
The bios holds the coa so as long as you have a Windows 8 disk you can install Windows to the Ssd and the code should be applied during the install and then plug in the hard drive and take and move out your User data folders I.E "Documents", "Pictures" etc and create those folders alone on the drive then delete the rest of the folders and you will have a clean setup. If for any reason "Showkey" or "Belarc" can privide you with the coa and I would do that first to be safe.
Belarc - System Management For The Internet Age. Software license management, IT asset management, IT security audits and more.

#14 ·
Thanks Gho12, that might be a valuable option, hopefully not a paid for software.

Rich, i do not own the install disk as it was pre installed, otherwise i would do the method you added, Im relatively new to this so just looking for the easiest and simplest way! thanks

#15 ·
What Rich-M is saying is that any Windows 8 disc that is the same version will install and take the product key from the Bios. So, you can get a Windows 8 disc from Ebay or wherever and not worry about the product key. Other then that, you can move all of your personal files, (eg) music, pictures, documents etc to an external HDD until the C: drive fits within the size limits of the SSD and then clone that over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.