Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

Maxtor Hard drive - help!

This is a discussion on Maxtor Hard drive - help! within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey there. I have an old Maxtor 120G hard drive, model # USB2120NEP001. It's served me well for years. Recently

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 07:04 PM   #1
Registered Member

Confused

Hey there. I have an old Maxtor 120G hard drive, model # USB2120NEP001. It's served me well for years. Recently I had to shut off my power momentarily during some electrical work on my house. Now my hard drive's green light is rapidly blinking (should be solid), and my computer doesn't recognize its presence (at all, not in device manager or disk management). I've tried unplugging the drive's power and USB wires and plugging them back in, rebooting my computer, etc. Nothing works and I'd kind of like the data on that drive. I've emailed Seagate (which bought out Maxtor), but they've not responded, and their site only has support info for newer Maxtor drives. Any guidance? Thanks guys - Joe

Old 03-27-2007, 11:20 PM   #2
I helped the forums.

OS: XP-Pro Sp2 & XP-Pro Sp2 Tablet Edition, Vista Ultimate, Win 7

My System

I can't tell by the looks of the drive if you can remove the HD from the enclosure....if you can, check the internal connections....otherwise your drive probably went bad....I have a 120 internal drive from Maxtor (one of three) that decided to run constantly and it does not stop spining ! It works but is really a gonner. Maxtor seemed to have had a lot of problems with the 120's in the Diamondmax 9 series of drives for some reason, I understand the new diamondmax 10 and above are much improved. If it is still under warenty see if Seagate will replace it for you.
PS....I found that you can indeed replace the HD...it must be an ATA drive no larger than 137Gb.....doing so will however void your warenty

Old 03-28-2007, 03:11 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Also
You have all the xp updates installed? The device manager clean? no yellow alerts?
Try hot plugging the usb into a different port while the computer is on, and while the external hard drive is powered up.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:47 AM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks guys. Will try different USB ports, and if it seems hopeless will take it to someone to see if they can retrieve the data and just get a new drive. Appreciate your help

Joe