Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

Long Generic test Failed!

This is a discussion on Long Generic test Failed! within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello everyone, i have a little problem with my HDD so i decided to come here and seek some help.

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 08:11 AM   #1
Bst
Registered Member

Hello everyone, i have a little problem with my HDD so i decided to come here and seek some help.
I have Seagate hadd (ST3160023A) and when i tested the HDD with SeaTools the program showed the following message: "Long Generic test - fail". My question is can you tell me what does the message mean and what type of error is this, and what is the problem with the hard drive. Would be nice if someone can give me link to another software to test with to be completely sure that the drive is broken.
Thank you in advance.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:41 AM   #2
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

do you receive an error code with it that you can check here
http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.js...00dd04090aRCRD

Old 07-07-2007, 09:49 AM   #3
Bst
Registered Member

Thanks a lot for the reply mate. Going to check the the link now :)
Old 07-07-2007, 09:33 PM   #4
Roaming To Help

If you run the long generic test with the latest SeaTools for DOS and it says failed, the HDD is corrupt and you need to replace it.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:51 AM   #5
Registered Member

Not necessarily. Run window's Error checking utility in all the drives. It may fix the problem. After that, check with Seatool and everything should be fine. But anyways if you are satisfied with the performance, RMA the drive.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:02 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

If you run the seatools in Dos mode and run the long grneric test, at the end it will give you the option to repair all error's.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:57 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

chkdsk should NEVER be run against a failing drive. Seatools checks at the physical disk level, chkdsk only check and fixes simple filesystem problems - running against a drive with physical problems will usually create more issues.