Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

Laptop will not recognize Hard drive**

This is a discussion on Laptop will not recognize Hard drive** within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Just got a hard drive I've been waiting on a for a few weeks. Old toshiba laptop finally had the

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 06:01 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

Just got a hard drive I've been waiting on a for a few weeks. Old toshiba laptop finally had the HDD give out and I found an exact replacement.

Problem is that the computer does not see the hard drive. I understand that some drives have to be formatted before they are accessible; how do I do this?

I tried booting into G**parted, but all I get is a blank black screen right when I should be loggin in, after I select the mode to login to.

So now that I can't boot G**parted and the PC doesn't recognize the HDD (even though it's the same model #); How can I get this working by tomorrow?

I do have an external USB drive adapter, but I am not sure that I can access the USB drive and partition/format it.

I've also never had a completely blank drive so I'm not sure how to create the file structure and boot structure.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:02 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

update: BIOS does not see HDD**

Old 03-09-2011, 06:08 PM   #3
- Microsoft Support

Can you hear the drive spinning up? If you have an external enclosure or adapter try to connect that to the drive and see if it spins up and is recognized in Windows.

TSF does not support assistance through email or private messages, please keep all questions in the open forum.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:11 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Drive spins up fine- I just connected it to my desktop with an external USB adapter and loaded up the W7 disk management.

Attached is an image of the message I received.

Going to pick up some cd-r because I think I may need them and I want to make sure I have them available to have this done by tonight-

Be back in a few minutes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	laptopdrive.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	88164  
Old 03-09-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
- Microsoft Support

So Windows recognizes it. I guess you could try to partition and format it and put it back into the laptop. You'll be able to repartition and format it when you do the Windows install if that's what your going to do with the disk.

TSF does not support assistance through email or private messages, please keep all questions in the open forum.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:55 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Windows installer does not see the hard drive- neither does the BIOS

Gparted live will not load- don't know how to create mbr and partition for windows through windows
Old 03-09-2011, 07:03 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

Initialize the disk where prompted, then right click the 'bar graph' area of the drive and select nex volume and it will gve you the option how to format.
It doesn't sound tho like that is the issue. If the drive is not recognized by BIOS in the laptop this is not a formatting issue. Make sure the drive is seating properly. Was there perhaps an adapter on the old drive that needs moved tot he new one> Some laptops used a proprietary adapter between the IDE port of the drive and the interface used by that specific computer.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:19 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

I used the adapter from the old drive, just a little plastic shroud for the pins.

I'm formatting it right now through Windows disk management- no progress bar or anything so I will not be sure when it is done-

I selected NTFS and unchecked the quick format option and am just waiting to get a message that it is complete- I hear the HD spinning, but none of the rattle that hard drives usually make.

Is there a hard drive diagnostic tool that would work on a toshiba drive?

It did spin up as soon as I started the format, but now my disk management tool shows not responding----Do I just turn it off and try something else.

Getting this is cursed voodoo-

The hard drive was "lost" by USPS for 2 weeks before I got it, and now there are other problems. Why couldn't it just work!?
Old 03-09-2011, 08:45 PM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

Stop it and try the quick format. A full format on Win7 will write 0's to the entire drive, not that that is a bad thing, but takes a while if you want to get on with testing. The hitachi Drive Fitness Test works on Toshiba DFT from the hitachi support site
Old 03-09-2011, 08:49 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

UPDATE

Installed it on my other laptop and it is being recognized and it seems that Windows is installing to it-

How can I figure out if the connector pins are making contact on the old laptop?

definitely seems like something else is going on if my USB attachment on my desktop and my other laptop both read it, but the Toshiba can't find it or boot with the Gparted disk (although it will boot with other disks in the drive).

EDIT---The Toshiba also reads the HD from the other laptop just fine
Old 03-09-2011, 09:16 PM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergoat View Post
UPDATE

Installed it on my other laptop and it is being recognized and it seems that Windows is installing to it-

How can I figure out if the connector pins are making contact on the old laptop?

definitely seems like something else is going on if my USB attachment on my desktop and my other laptop both read it, but the Toshiba can't find it or boot with the Gparted disk (although it will boot with other disks in the drive).

EDIT---The Toshiba also reads the HD from the other laptop just fine
I'll be more clear since I understand that I'm being somewhat confusing.

Toshiba is broken and it will not read the new toshiba hard drive I bought for it. I removed the drive and then formatted it from another computer in an attempt to fix it. Still would not read in Toshiba laptop.

Decided to try a last ditch approach to test the hard drive before sending it back and I installed it into my gateway laptop. The unrecognizable HD was instantly recognizable in the Gateway laptop. I then decided to see if the Toshiba laptop was broken and not the HD, so I installed my HD from my gateway into my Toshiba laptop and that drive was also instantly recognized- almost let me boot too.

So what the hell is going on? Is it possible that a Toshiba laptop may have issues with a same model # replacement hard drive from Toshiba????