Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

Laptop Hard Drive not being detected by BIOS

This is a discussion on Laptop Hard Drive not being detected by BIOS within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Toshiba Satellite A85-S107 The hard drive became corrupted and windows would not load up all the way so I plugged

Old 07-05-2011, 09:00 AM   #1
Registered Member

Toshiba Satellite A85-S107

The hard drive became corrupted and windows would not load up all the way so I plugged it into an IDE to USB bridge and used Stellar Pheonix to recover the data I needed off of it. The recovery went well and when I was done I put the hard drive back into the laptop but the BIOS would no longer detect the hard drive.
I go into the BIOS with F2 and I see it says no hard drive detected. I tried to find hard drive settings but I could not find anything related to the hard drive other than the line that says hard drive is not detected and the boot options.
I put in a windows xp disc and rebooted again but the windows installation said it could not find a hard drive.
I tried reseating a few times to no avail then I plugged it back into the external hard drive case and reformatted the drive with a quick NTFS file system but that did not help.
I tried using windows 7 disk error checking to search for bad sectors but nothing came up.
I reinstalled a full NTFS file system and still the drive would not be detected. The drive functions perfectly as an external but I need to get it to work in the laptop.

I even tried to find a burn mark or bent pin on the hard drive itself but it seems intact.

PLEASE HELP

Old 07-05-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

It seems you've exhausted the drive as a possible source for the problem. I'd say it's now considered a "known-good" device.

Therefore, problem is in the laptop, not the drive. Step one is to make sure it's reseated properly. You seem to have addressed this, but I'd be remiss if I omitted. You may have inadvertently caused physical damage to the connection the first time you removed/replaced it. It's possible.

How sure are you that the HDD was corrupted? Maybe the MoBo had a physical connection go bad/burn out, maybe BiOS somehow came corrupted (did you try to flash it?).

Sounds like you need laptop support more than HDD support...

Do you have another HDD to try in the laptop, just for fun?

Do you have another laptop to try the HDD in as an internal, just for fun?

jw

Old 07-06-2011, 05:22 PM   #3
Registered Member

I am fairly sure it is the drive because I had to repair some bad sectors on it before I could recover data from it. At first Windows could not even access the drive when I plugged it into the external hard drive case.
I did have another broken laptop hard drive sitting around so I plugged it into the laptop to see if it would even recognize it. The second hard drive was recognized but of course it is broken so I can't use it, I have no idea what is wrong with the 2nd hard drive but have given up on that one.
Before I performed the data recovery on the first drive the BIOS recognized it just fine. I don't know what I did to the drive to make it stop being recognized.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:06 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Try it again making sure the drive seats completely, unless something physically happened to the drive after the recovery, using software and a USB connection to recover data will have no detrimental effect on the drive that would prevent BIOS from recognizing it.Things that could have caused issues, - unplugging the drive from it's power source (at the drive connector) while still under power, handling the drive while spinning too roughly, drop/shock/impact, something shorted across the PC Board while the drive was exposed and powered.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:00 PM   #5
Registered Member

When I was trying to get my computer to recognize the hard drive it was taking forever to be recognized so I definitely unplugged the external while it was in use. I would not be surprised if I wiped out something important but I don't know what was lost.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:16 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Unplugging hot will generally cause physical damage to components on the PC Board, or possibly to the preamp inside the drive. Can you feel the drive spin up when power is applied?
Old 07-07-2011, 08:51 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

I'm sorry -- I guess I misunderstood the current status of the drive, with all that you said you had done with it as an external. For clarification, could you say that the drive is functioning as an external -reliably, -unreliably, or -not at all?
Old 07-08-2011, 07:55 AM   #8
Registered Member

It is functioning reliably as an external but it is no longer being detected by the BIOS when I try to put it back in the laptop.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:56 AM   #9
Registered Member

I am beginning to think I messed up the circuit board on the hard drive.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:42 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

If the drive is functioning correctly as an external, then there is no issue with the drive itself. Are you certain the drive is seating correctly? Was there an adapter on the drive when it came out of the laptop? Some of them use an adapter to a proprietary interface.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:06 PM   #11
Registered Member

There was no adapter on the drive. It fits perfectly and I can even hear it try to start up but then it just stops and this only happens when it is plugged in the computer.