Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

LaCie Big Disk - RAID 0 Recovery

This is a discussion on LaCie Big Disk - RAID 0 Recovery within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. So, this is a little complicated. I have a LaCie Big Disk (1TB LaCie Big Disk U2&F4&F8 EXTR 7200RPM 16MB

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 01:27 PM   #1
Registered Member

So, this is a little complicated. I have a LaCie Big Disk (1TB LaCie Big Disk U2&F4&F8 EXTR 7200RPM 16MB US) with two internal 500GB Seagate Drives and an internal RAID 0 unit. Upon returning from a recent vacation, I found my AC adapter was fried and caused my hard drives to spin up and down rapidly. When I took it to get repaired at a local shop they not only repaired the AC adapter but also unplugged each of the hard drives separately to test them but in the process broke the RAID so that the internal RAID unit in the LaCie Big Disk can no longer recognize them. The unit boots up fine now, but will not show up under any recovery software or RAID 0 disk image reconstruction software. It is completely unrecognizable from my Macbook Pro running OS X. How can I get around this internal RAID 0 unit in the LaCie Big Disk? Do I have to mount each of the hard drives in different hard drive boxes and then recreate a disk image? If then, how do I put them back in the LaCie Big Disk unit and reformat it?

***?

Thanks in advance,
Matthew

Old 06-28-2009, 01:37 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

That probably won't work, are you sure you got the drives back in in the right order? How did they test the drives - testing single drives from an array at the filesystem level could break the raid. Try r-studio and see if it can rebuild the raid, you can play with drive order and block sizes to match the parameters Lacie used - you will need another drive to output the files to however. In data recovery, building the logical array and saving the data is the first priority, then you can reformat your array and copy the data back. Recreating the array under a foreign controller will probably rewite the headers for the block size. Also the AC adapter going out could have damaged the Lacie controller.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:48 PM   #3
Registered Member

The shop did not do anything extensive to the drives when checking. Seemed like they only did a low-level scan to check file permissions and the catalog - took them only a few minutes. I have another hard drive to output the file, but R-Studio will not recognize the LaCie Big Disk with any drive order (there are only two with two disks). I also don't think the LaCie controller got fried, because when I plug in the LaCie Big Disk to my MacBook the hard drives spin up when it recognizes that it became attached to a computer. Not sure what to do from here.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:15 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

You will have to pull the drives from the big disk enclosure and mount them ias internal drives on a desktop. Not sure how they could check permissions and the catalog on individual drives in a RAID since the data is split across the two drives.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:35 AM   #5
Registered Member

Yeah, I am not sure what they did with the drives, but they certainly did not reformat or wipe them. I think they just tried to mount them. Anyway, could I also put them each in different external enclosures and mount them on my laptop? Also, once I make the disk image of the original drive, how can I reformat them so that they will work in the LaCie Big Disk box again?
Old 06-29-2009, 07:18 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

You can try it in separate enclosures, but not sure r-studio will be as successful at it's recovery. Worth a shot tho at trying to rebuild the virtual raid with it, you will have to reformat the disks in the lacie box, if this is like the Big Disk raids I have seen, moving the little set screw based raid type selector will overwrite the old raid info.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:19 AM   #7
Registered Member

Where is this set screw based raid type selector situated? The biggest problem right now seems that I can't get the computer or any software program to recognize the drives even exist even when they boot up when plugged into the computer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lacie_bigdisk_drives.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	51986   Click image for larger version

Name:	lacie_bigdisk_board.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	51987  
Old 06-29-2009, 11:00 AM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

Not seeing it on yours, ours were SATA drives and the 'dial' was a recessed screwd driver slotted setting on the back near the connections to select raid level or jbod. Are they connected via USB when you can't get them recognized? They appear to be IDE drives are you connecting directly to an IDE port and if so are they jumpered correctly? Not sure how it is going to work on a laptop via USB and particularly a MAC, I even do mac recoveries on PCs....
Old 09-16-2009, 09:29 AM   #9
Registered Member

Couldn't get R-Studio to see the Lacie Big Disk 500Gb Raid 0, but "Raid Reconstructor" on my PC and "VirtualLab Data Recovery" on my G5 Mac in manual mode with block sze 256 and the right calculated stripe blocks (total Raid size / 256 / 2 * 1,048,576) could.
P.S. get an electronic engineer to check the 12v over voltage regulator hasn't blown on the power pcb inside the Lacie - that's what happened to mine, a quick bodge and it was fine again with the data intact.